Author Topic: Question about Elligibility to install AVAST free antivirus  (Read 7692 times)

newuser2013

Hello,
There has been a confusion about eligibility of using AVAST free antivirus. Here are the questions and I would appreciate if anyone could answer with relevant link to official documents:
1) Can a faculty/staff/student in US education institution install free version of avast antivirus in their work computer ? Please note the difference: I am fully aware of home(free) , education use (5-30000 need permission to use endpoint protection and central management). However, I am talking about single installation of "free version of avast" and no centrally network management. This is like one user installing it in their pc and that pc is in his education institution (where he is only using that pc).
2) In a relevant question: could you please clarify in general when a permission will be needed for using the very basic free avast antivirus.

I have been using avast for long time and love it so much. Thank you very much.
best regards.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Question about Elligibility to install AVAST free antivirus
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 08:29:27 PM »
Sure go ahead. ??? ;) ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 08:59:24 PM »
Sure go ahead. ??? ;) ;D

I'm not sure you can categorically state that.

1) Can a faculty/staff/student in US education institution install free version of avast antivirus in their work computer ?

Education establishments are considered commercial use, but that is where the USA Education Products comes in and the endpoint products. Outside of this I think that the free version of avast would be for the normal free for Home and non-commercial use if those computers are owned by the School I don't think they wouldn't qualify.

If the computer is owned by the individual (student) and they aren't using using it for commercial use (staff/teachers in relation to their work) then the user qualifies for the free Home and non-commercial use.

I don't know if this question might be better asked in the USA Education Products forum, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=55.0
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 09:04:43 PM »
Well I was responding on more of a light note as I don't think that would be "world shattering" But fair enough. ;)

newuser2013

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 09:39:03 PM »
Here is what I found from researching avast site: http://www.avast.com/en-us/store and click schools.
Note what it says:

avast! Free Antivirus:

The world’s most popular antivirus, previously free only for home use, is now FREE also to educational institutions. For standalone (non-centrally managed) endpoints. Then it shows “download” and goes back to same link for avast free.

avast! Endpoint Protection Suite

Our centrally managed award-winning IT-security software for business networks is now FREE to educational institutions. Divert your IT-security budget somewhere else! Then it shows “Apply”.

See the difference.

I am not sure if I interpreted it correctly.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 10:53:42 PM »
I'm an avast user so I'm not entirely clear on it either, which is why I suggested posting on the USA Education Products forum.

The http://www.avast.com/en-us/education?utm_expid=22755838-7&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.avast.com%2Fen-us%2Fstore page when mentioning free, I don't believe is talking about the standard avast free version.

Quote from: from above link
How does the AVAST Free for Education program work and what is included?

AVAST has been protecting home users for free for many years and to great acclaim. To support hard-pressed educational institutions – both K-12 and post-secondary – we’ve extended this home-based free protection to the educational sector.

Here’s what you get

All public educational institutions in the US are eligible to use AVAST’s premium, business-grade avast! Endpoint Protection Suite at no cost. Each educational license includes two central management control options, which enables IT administrators to remotely manage antivirus protection on laptops, desktops and servers across any campus, large or small.

This appears to be talking about the endpoint protection suite rather than avast free, "AVAST’s premium, business-grade avast! Endpoint Protection Suite at no cost."

So it certainly needs clarification.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

newuser2013

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 07:36:48 AM »
DavidR,
Thanks. I think your link further clarifies what I understood.
1) Protection for single computer without central management.  Click download
2) Protection for Windows PCs and Servers networks of 5 - 30,000 endpoint devices. Central management and remote control included. Click Apply.
All public educational institutions in the US are eligible to use AVAST’s premium, business-grade avast! Endpoint Protection Suite at no cost. For this one need to apply.
The free antivirus is still free like home users.
Can any moderator move this to appropriate forum as suggested by some of you?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 12:30:21 PM »
You're welcome, I have asked for this topic to be moved, hopefully one of the one of the moderators will pick up on it.