Author Topic: adverts..adverts.... oh and more adverts  (Read 21092 times)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: adverts..adverts.... oh and more adverts
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 01:36:57 AM »
Avira's high detection rates are equal to there high level of false positives and as mentioned earlier there ad's take up the whole screen while avasts are only in the bottom corner which you can set to a minimal time of 1 second.
I also don't get ad's at the rate at which you say there appearing for you, lucky if there every 2 or 3 days for me but being that there set to show for such a short time I don't even notice them.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 01:45:16 AM »
if i was gunna have to put up with popups then I would stay with Avira as it has much better detection rates, at least their popup is every 48 hours and not 24..

cant believe Avast have started doing this...

This certainly isn't the norm or there would be lots more posts about it.

That is why we are asking questions as we as avast users also aren't seeing this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

snadge

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 10:26:21 PM »
the screenshot was from google to show what the popup was like... I thought that was obvious?? i wasnt trying to pass it off as one of my own...

I have since got rid of Avast for now so can not show you one, when I did use the "show last popup" it only shows the avast informative popups and not the adverts.

edit: also Avira's false positives are old news, check latest benchmarks - plus i would rather have something flagged for me to inspect than let it get through...

AVAST get more FP's than AVIRA

all I can say is I have an account at Avast , was signed in on the program . had chrome browser extension installed... and live in UK ...and I got ads, the same ad twice in quick succession shortly after install, then that ad again almost dead on 24 hours later

Ive seen posts from other users with same issue... not many but there are some

edit2: tell you what, I will reinstall it and leave it running a few days and post up every time it displays the ad with a screenshot

edit3:

there you go , just minutes after install

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 11:06:25 PM by snadge »

snadge

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 11:28:54 PM »
............please see my above email for screenshot of advert and other info...

I just got this popup too even though the plugin is installed, it did this on the previous Avast install too = ive tried uninstalling the plugin and installing it via Avast but it still Appears as "install" under options... a bug perhaps?

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 11:30:53 PM by snadge »

Aventador

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 11:54:12 PM »
This is very odd. No one has every complained like this. I have had Avast installed for along time and I never get ANY upgrade pop ups. And yes I have Avast Free. I just did a test on my old  machine which I use to test malware. No VM. A live machine I picked up for $50. Nothing installed at all. Just Windows. Installed Avast. Unechecked Google Toolbar and Chrome.........................Guess what. No Chrome. No Google Toolbar. No Upgrade Ads. Dont know what to tell you. I also went ahead and installed Chrome after then went into the Chrome store and added the Avast extension. No problems there either.

bobo1

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 01:15:04 AM »
Yes i am getting this ad pop up every time i boot up on the computer when the virus database is updated with white box popup with loudhailer symbol as shown in this post instead of the normal green popup box just latley. On Avast 8 free!. IS THIS NORMAL AVAST TEAM???? OR HAS SOME MALWARE CRIPPLED AVAST?
Virus scan on computer is fine
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 01:18:26 AM by bobo1 »

Arnold72

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2013, 01:56:26 AM »
Avast is much better on their suggestions since they're doing just a tiny slideup in the free version.
Avira covers the entire screen which, to me, is unacceptable.

Your point of view on the avira pop up is incorrect.
When did you try avira last?

Thanks.

snadge

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2013, 04:37:56 PM »
here we go again....not even 24 hours later.... soon as i log in

also, I suggest everyone check their versions cos latest version of Avast does not come with google toolbar lol... sounds to me like some people are using older versions

3 adverts in less than 18 hours!!!!

at least Avira is just once every 2 days and its not a full screen advert either...its a tray popup like these... Avira has better detection and less false positives than Avast... see my previous posts for proof
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 04:42:05 PM by snadge »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2013, 05:45:09 PM »
Just check my signature and you will see my avast version is the latest as it would be for the majority of regular/frequent members/posters on the forum.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

snadge

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2013, 05:53:21 PM »
Just check my signature and you will see my avast version is the latest as it would be for the majority of regular/frequent members/posters on the forum.

im just going of someone saying they installed "google toolbar" which doesnt come with Avast V8..?

whats your opinion on the adverts I have gotten then? cant someone from Avast comment on this? - everytime I get one I will post up a screenshot which includes the date and time so you can see the frequency, but so far ive had 3 in less than 24 hours (or 2 if you dont want to include the chrome plugin one which probably wouldnt be fair too...)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2013, 06:14:53 PM »
I honestly don't know why you are getting repetitive pop-ups (but according to your images they are all different), it sounds more like some form of corruption in the program.

I have seen one of them about getting AIS for free, but only once. Me I don't get excited about them I have the auto update notification pop-up dialled down to 1 second duration (as it also has audio notice of update) and it is this pop-up that these are piggybacked to. So I just let then pop back down again after a second.

snadge

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2013, 09:28:55 PM »
I honestly don't know why you are getting repetitive pop-ups (but according to your images they are all different), it sounds more like some form of corruption in the program.

I have seen one of them about getting AIS for free, but only once. Me I don't get excited about them I have the auto update notification pop-up dialled down to 1 second duration (as it also has audio notice of update) and it is this pop-up that these are piggybacked to. So I just let then pop back down again after a second.

Ive reinstalled the program twice and removed it using avast removal tool - I cant imagine it being any sort of program corruption?

Iam surprised the advert disappears after 1 second if you dial the "update" timer down to 1 second as they are not related? if anything it would be the 'info' popup - those popups are just whats going on within the program, nothing to do with offering upgrades to AIS - i further proved this by using the "display last popup" option after an advert has appeared, it only shows the last "info" popup...I would imagine if they were tied in then using the "show last popup" option would show the adverts too...?

im not going to dial it down to 1 second just in case it does work because i need them to stay there long enough for me to run Share-X to take a picture

is there anyway of getting someone from Avast to comment as to why some people arent getting any... some people are getting them occasionally and some are getting them all the time?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2013, 09:53:50 PM »
I told you why they are related the piggyback on the auto update triggers it and effectively you only see the secondary popup not the update notification popup.

snadge

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2013, 10:09:01 PM »
I told you why they are related the piggyback on the auto update triggers it and effectively you only see the secondary popup not the update notification popup.

Im sorry , no offence intended but I'm struggling to make sense of your post, it seems to be lacking commas to break it down... 

you never told me "why they are related", you just said "they are related"

it sounds to me like your on about the adverts that are like the green update popup - ive seen them before, they are an extension of the update popup so probably would disappear after 1 second if the 'update' popup is set to do so... but thats not the popups Iam getting and you can see from my screenshots above, the ones I think your on about are like these ones below (from google images) but would have something like 'upgrade to AIS' instead of 'tips for google chrome'

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2013, 10:48:23 PM »
Isn't this topic about the adverts, I give up.