Author Topic: adverts..adverts.... oh and more adverts  (Read 21089 times)

snadge

adverts..adverts.... oh and more adverts
« on: June 12, 2013, 11:43:10 PM »
is it me? or is Avast Free worse than Avira for nag "upgrade to pro" pop ups? - I always chose avast to be free of Avira's (once every 2 days) upgrade to pro popup - well i have not been using Avast for a while and decided to install it last night... in last hour or so it has popped up TWICE asking me if I want to upgrade to Internet Security!!

is there anyway of turning this off? or do I have to get shot of it?

thanks

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: adverts..adverts.... oh and more adverts
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 11:45:15 PM »
did you register your avast free....or are you running it in trail mode?

snadge

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 11:49:09 PM »
hi

thanks for quick reply.

its registered with 365 days remaining

cooby

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 03:36:16 AM »
Avast is much better on their suggestions since they're doing just a tiny slideup in the free version.
Avira covers the entire screen which, to me, is unacceptable.

snadge

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 11:44:58 PM »
I havent had any today so far... fingers crossed

yes Avira's pop up is a pain... plus they repair and circumvention at each update!! ive tried all methods and none stick

snadge

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 12:13:13 AM »
pffft - just 5 minutes after typing the above post i got the popup!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 12:19:10 AM »
Can you attach a screenshot of the popup are you talking about ?

I haven't seen any upgrade popups for some considerable time.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

snadge

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 12:33:09 AM »
its defo avast lol... latest version, this time i had Private Firewall installed which notified me of Avast Setup running, when I allowed it the popup appeared

it asking me if I want to updgrade to Internet Security and it looks like its going to be every 24 hours it will come because it was almost to the minute 24 hours earlier when i got the last one...

its a popup above the clock in the tray...

having googled it and coming back to a post in this forum i found the following which is supposed to stop them from coming (I also live in UK and have chrome browser addon installed) - unchecking 'Show Avast Recommendation features' ...do you know if this works?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 12:47:54 AM »
Neither of those options will stop the recommendation popup, there unrelated.

I just had the ad popup myself for the chance to win Avast security suite for free :).

If your running the free version then you have to expect some ad's, best option is to set the limit there displayed to minimal.

snadge

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 12:57:44 AM »
well according to the post I got it from some users report no longer seeing the ad(s) after unchecking that option...

the options (to make minimal) you talk about are for non-ad popups (Info, Update, Warning, Alert) - the ad popus look nothing like those

also, every 24 hours is a bit much IMO and will only serve to drive people away from free avast.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 01:05:00 AM »
well according to the post I got it from some users report no longer seeing the ad(s) after unchecking that option...

the options (to make minimal) you talk about are for non-ad popups (Info, Update, Warning, Alert) - the ad popus look nothing like those

also, every 24 hours is a bit much IMO and will only serve to drive people away from free avast.
Well that info is wrong :) I uncheck those options on all installs I do and they have no effect on the advertising of avast paid products, I set the Info and Update popups to 5 seconds.

snadge

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 01:19:23 AM »
oh well - looks like I will be switching to Comodo Internet Security or Outpost Internet Security

the popup is similar to this one, every 24 hours so far...

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 01:25:01 AM »
That your choice, I myself don't mind a few Ad's for the sake of free protection that is better than most of the paid suites.

snadge

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 01:29:04 AM »
if i was gunna have to put up with popups then I would stay with Avira as it has much better detection rates, at least their popup is every 48 hours and not 24..

cant believe Avast have started doing this...

Aventador

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 01:30:26 AM »
Very funny that the screen shot you posted is from a year ago. Right click on the system tray icon and select "show last pop up". Paste a screen shot here. Thanks.