Author Topic: Why can't I start Firefox?  (Read 5717 times)

WetDog

Why can't I start Firefox?
« on: April 20, 2005, 10:27:23 AM »
Hello, got a weird problem here:

After a windows (re)start I can't open Firefox. When I click the icon nothin shows up on the screen, but ctrl+alt+del show me firefox.exe actually is running.

I have to stop avast! On-Access protection, start browser, start avast!. Very annoying. But after I've done this Firefox works great, I can open and close it without problems.

Is it a bad idea to tell avast! not to scan firefox.exe at all? Or does anyone know what the problem might be?

Edit: Windows XP, Service Pack 2, Firefox 1.0.3

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Why can't I start Firefox?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 02:27:57 PM »
I have virtually the same set-up, XP Pro SP2, firefox 1.0.3 and no problems (dial-up connection and a blank page as my default).

I find it strange that avast could stop firefox from opening, I once had similar problems with an earlier firefox version 1.0.1 or 1.0 I think when it wouldn't open. I think that was down to over zealous tweaking and or extensions installed on my part.

In the end I uninstalled firefox including the profile and program folder, etc. started with a clean slate, then everything was back to normal. Remember 1.0.3 is a beta release of firefox.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fjarrfoss

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 09:04:59 PM »
Having the same problem but mine is intermittent (wonderful is it not?).   ???   Am running FF 1.0.4 on Windows ME with the Home Edition of Avast.  Tried reconfig of Avast but it still seems to scan FF and the only way I know is to look into the tasks window.  I have to do a reboot to clear the problem.

Is anyone working on this or just crossing pointed fingers?

F'jarr Foss

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 09:21:39 PM »
Having the same problem but mine is intermittent (wonderful is it not?).   ???   Am running FF 1.0.4 on Windows ME with the Home Edition of Avast.  Tried reconfig of Avast but it still seems to scan FF and the only way I know is to look into the tasks window.  I have to do a reboot to clear the problem.

Is anyone working on this or just crossing pointed fingers?

F'jarr Foss

Had the same problem then used firefox.  :(

MFB

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 09:26:33 PM »
Strange, hey just to let you know, Firefox 1.0.4 is out since I notice you got the 1.0.3  ;)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 09:29:14 PM »
Howdy fjarfoss,

What helped me with this problem is to renew the shortcuts. Delete the existing shortcuts to FF (on startup bar, the desktop shortcut), go to windows programs Mozilla FF and make a shortcut from there to your desktop, and drag this one to your startup bar. No more problems for me, anyway. Some add-ons can de-stabilize FF, toolbars can make it very slow.

Greets,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 10:36:23 PM »
Strange, hey just to let you know, Firefox 1.0.4 is out since I notice you got the 1.0.3 ;)

Strange have you noticed the date of the last post in the thread before 'fjarrfoss's post? - 20 April 2005 so firefox 1.0.3 was the current version then.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 11:47:39 PM »
I have the same intermittent problem.  As far as I have been able to ascertain it is not related to any other programmes om my computor.  All I do is go to task manager end the firefox process that is running and the restart the browser (sometimes I have 2 instances of firefox- close them both) Methinks it is probably an intermittent problem with firefox.....

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 03:04:46 AM »
The extensions and themes are messing Firefox updates...
Everything is fine, than you update Firefox and nothing works.
The extensions are the problem. Use just the few ones you really need.
I have to start from the beginning more than once. Sometimes, just disabling is not enough  :'( :P
The best things in life are free.

ramses

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2005, 11:46:10 AM »
I had the same problem.  I couldn't open Firefox but then I found it running in Task Manager.  Had to End Task in Task Manager and then it was okay.  As far as I could discover, it is caused when you do not uninstall Firefox before installing a new one.  You won't lose your settings.  Since I started doing that, no further problems.