Author Topic: Avast CD  (Read 4829 times)

pnbalaji

Avast CD
« on: September 24, 2003, 08:34:49 AM »
Hi,

I have some questions about Avast! 4 Home Edition.

1. Avast detected W32.Trojan.{gen} in one of my files which was not detected by AVG or F-Prot or Norton Antivirus. Is this really a virus or trojan?.

2. Is there a way to create rescue disk with Avast Antivirus. I could not find any method.

3. If I buy Avast Bart CD, it may be useful now. But after some six months, IT world would have been exploited with more and more new viruses and worms. Will that CD be of use at that time?. I mean, is there a way to specify the location of virus database out of CD when I run Avast from CD?.

4. I have scheduled boot time scan for the directory c:\winnt\system32. The boot time was significantly increased because of this scan. Now, I don't find a way to unshcedule this boot time scan from the Avast Interface. Is this a bug?.

5. The Home edition shows the "Show Test Results" in the menu as disabled. Looks like I have to view the report file under the Avast Report directory only. Is there a way to enable the "Show Test Results" from menu.

Thanks in Advance,
Balaji.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Avast CD
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2003, 09:38:43 AM »
1. It's hard to say... you can send it to virus(at)asw.cz for additional analysis.
2. No.
3. If you buy the BART CD, you'll get the BART CD "Builder" - using it, you can build an updated CD each time an update is available. Therefore, it's recommended to burd the CD to an CD-RW medium.
It is also possible to supply a new VPS file from another location, e.g. from a diskette. This way, however, you only use a new VPS file, not the (possibly updated) program.
4. The boot-time scan should be performed only once (unless you schedule it again). If it's not the case, it's possible that some other program corrupted the corresponding registry key somehow. Try this advice. please.
5. If you mean the item "Last Scan Results" - it is available only if there are any results from the last scan, i.e. if a virus was found.

pnbalaji

Re:Avast CD
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2003, 09:59:39 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the response. Regarding the boot time scan, I did find a round-about way to unschedule it. The file aswboot.log had the following lines in it.

cmdLine
   <command to scan the directory c:\winnt\system32>
   cmdLine end

I had removed these three lines and now Avast is not performing the boot time scan.

Regarding the boot CD, I tried building the Bart CD in CD-RW medium, but failed several times. I am not comfortable at creating Bart CDs on a CD-RW. The documents which ever I had, did not give more detailed step-by-step instructions for creating the Bart CD on a CD-RW. If I find a successful way of creating this, I will try creating the Avast CD on my own.

Thanks,
Balaji.