Author Topic: Turn off advertising in signature update popup  (Read 5958 times)

Erroneus

Turn off advertising in signature update popup
« on: July 09, 2013, 07:47:19 AM »
Every time my signature files got updated, I get the usual update popup, which is a expected, but now there is a add in the popup for Avast Secureline and other Avast products.

How do I turn that off? I don't want adds in my Avast, when I'm a paying customer  >:(

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Turn off advertising in signature update popup
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 09:24:32 AM »
You can't turn off just the ads and they aren't ads as such, they offer different products from avast! in case you might be interested in them. Though, i agree, they can be annoying if you aren't interested and i also hate the big white button in the VPS update popup but they refuse to make it look better.

Only way that i know to get rid of it is to disable the VPS update popup altogether.

Settings -> Updating -> scroll down and expand last section, uncheck the second checkbox out of three which is for the updating popup. This way you won't even see the popup anymore.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Erroneus

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 09:46:17 AM »
Thanks for the answer.

That's simply just not good enough. As a paying customer, I should have the possibility to turn this off and oh yes, it's ads, no way around it. Turning off update popups completely is not an option, I still want to know when my Avast was updated.

I can understand this being part of the free product, but as a paying Internet Security customer, this is simply not acceptable.

If Avast doesn't change this, I'm going to claim a refund for my IS license and I will find another premium anti-virus product, it's that simple.

Erroneus

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 09:57:43 AM »
I opened a ticket with support. Either they respect their paying customers or they have lost their first, due to shady advertising.

Erroneus

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 10:00:17 AM »
What's next? Trying to force free customers over to premium? .. Oh wait, they already tried that and blamed it on an "error".

So what's next? Avast Security Toolbar, as a part of Java updates or similar products, like adware software has done for years.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 01:02:45 PM »
Actually you don't really need the update popup. If you disable it, you'll still get the update error message if avast! for whatever reason stops updating (or fails to do so). The reason why i say it's not really relevant to see the update popup is in the fact that even though regular VPS updates are released twice a day, Streaming Updates are received every 5 minutes. And for these, you don't see any popups at all (either way).

But sure, they could add an option for that if they have added so many of them for various other things...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

eltonzoto

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 03:44:08 PM »
I opened a ticket with support. Either they respect their paying customers or they have lost their first, due to shady advertising.

Hi,

If you get any responses from support, about this weird thing, please let us know.

Thanks

tonydoolz01

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 11:28:40 AM »
You can't turn off just the ads and they aren't ads as such, they offer different products from avast! in case you might be interested in them.

Unless advertising has changed its definition, that sounds EXACTLY like advertising. I agree, I am a paying customer - I should not have to put up with the company trying to push other products on me, there is a free version for that...

I agree with Eltonzoto, I suggest Avast removes the advertising for their loyal and paying customers, before they have none left