Author Topic: CRASHING!  (Read 3055 times)

SCORPIONINBLUE

CRASHING!
« on: April 22, 2005, 03:56:54 PM »
I have what is a simple question but I want to see the range of responses I get as far as advice.  I got a error reading from  Avast about an invalid entry I went to Task manager to reboot and everything froze, I waited 10 minutes and clicked on shutdown, waited 15 minutes more and made two more attempts to shutdown, finally it did (although I must admit I had to yank my right hand away from the off button).  I turned things off waited 10 minutes and powered up again, everything's running fine, but I ran my TuneUp registry cleaner and it found 6 errors which it took care of, now what I want to know is after something like that occurs should I run Windows Scan Disk as a precautionary measure, wouldn't the crash have created errors that should be checked even though things appear to be okay on the surface?  Just trying to be as safe as possible rather than sorry later down the road.  Oh, by the way Avast is working fine!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: CRASHING!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 04:17:19 PM »
After a crash like that, yes corruption can occur in files in use, but it doesn't always happen. Windows usually runs a check prior to start-up for an untidy shutdown (crash) to check for faults.

Running scan disk certainly won't hurt.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.7.6124 (build 24.7.9311.855) UI 1.0.811/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SCORPIONINBLUE

Re: CRASHING!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 04:29:07 PM »
Thanks for your quick response will run it now!