Author Topic: WebRep  (Read 7178 times)

ManFromOz

WebRep
« on: July 11, 2013, 10:18:37 AM »
Hi,

First off I want to apologize if this has been asked before.  I have searched but couldn't find any recent relevant posts.

I've been using another AV for a while now, but I decided it's time to try Avast free again.  Overall I'm still impressed with avast and I can live with the light couloured GUI.   8)

My issue is that WebRep appears to not be working in IE10 and only intermittently in Firefox.  Is this a known issue or a problem with my installation?

Thanks for any advice.

ManFromOz

Avast! free AV version 8.0.1489
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 10:24:11 AM by ManFromOz »

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
Re: WebRep
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 12:07:24 PM »
Welcome back to Avast Forum! There was an similar issue relating to the current issue that you are facing but it has been fixed when Avast released Avast! 8.0.1489.

Try to uninstall avast again, use avast uninstall utility, and download and reinstall avast. See if it helps?
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 08:07:54 PM »
Before doing a clean install try a repair first.
Control Panel>Uninstall>double click "avast">click "repair">reboot.  :)

WebRep works fine in IE10 here. I must admit I use either Chrome or Firefox for my browsing.  8)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

ManFromOz

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 09:24:36 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.   :)

I should clarify.

The WebRep icon functions in both Firefox and IE10, however the icon does not display along side search results in IE10 and only sometimes in Firefox.  It isn't a serious issue for me.  I have run the repair as per above instructions but with the same results.

I have been reading the following thread and it appears others have had the same experience, so I doubt uninstalling /reinstalling will solve anything.  I may try at some point though, just to rule it out.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=123563.0

Thanks again,

ManFromOz

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 10:18:06 PM »
For what it's worth, WebRep doesn't show up in the search results in IE10 here either.
They do show up in both FF and Chrome. If I'm not mistaken MicroSoft is being a pain
when it comes to some add-ons/extensions. So it might not be an avast issue but a
MicroSoft issue.  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 05:29:08 AM »
I see WebRep is still having problems with Firefox  -  now updated to FF30.  No WebRep icons in search results, and the settings button takes me to chrome://wrc/content/options.html , which is a blank screen in FF.

I was hoping this glitch would of been sorted by now.   :o

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 04:49:12 PM »
The "avast online security" extension "should" work fine with stable versions of FF.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 11:30:07 PM »
I see WebRep is still having problems with Firefox  -  now updated to FF30.  No WebRep icons in search results, and the settings button takes me to chrome://wrc/content/options.html , which is a blank screen in FF.

I was hoping this glitch would of been sorted by now.   :o

Yes, I can confirm all you mentioned. FF ver. 29, 30.. same behavior - empty settings page, addon not working at all! Tried reinstalls,reboots..nothing!

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 12:55:41 AM »
I'm using version 30.0, and I'm having the same issues mentioned above. I hope this gets fixed soon as my other antivirus has expired and I don't have anything to tell me if a website is unsafe or not. :(

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 02:58:57 AM »
I also had this problem if installing FF 29 and 30 fresh ( clean ) Avast! Online Security does not work. To solve this problem I installed FF 28 then AOS and proceeded to upgrade FF from within ( FF updater ).

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 07:13:36 AM »
I'm using version 30.0, and I'm having the same issues mentioned above. I hope this gets fixed soon as my other antivirus has expired and I don't have anything to tell me if a website is unsafe or not. :(

I've got Norton Identity Safe installed so I do at least get some information about which sites are safe and which aren't.

https://identitysafe.norton.com/
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 07:18:44 AM by ManFromOz »

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 07:14:25 AM »
I also had this problem if installing FF 29 and 30 fresh ( clean ) Avast! Online Security does not work. To solve this problem I installed FF 28 then AOS and proceeded to upgrade FF from within ( FF updater ).

Thanks.  I might give that a go.

Online Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 01:48:24 PM »
I have noticed no problem with FF 29.01 or any other FF version prior to this.

Are we sure that the problem is actually a problem?

For obvious reasons any web site that comes up in a search result that hasn't been rated by sufficient numbers of AVAST WebRep users will mean no WebRep icon will be present. If you go to the unrated site the main Toolbar WebRep icon will grey out.

I'm not sure how many people have to rate a web site for the WebRep rating to work but, for example,  I'm on several very well populated forums which have existed for more than a decade. I submitted a WebRep rating for them when the feature was first provided. They're still not showing any rating. There's just a greyed out WebRep icon which I've always assumed is because there simply aren't enough AVAST users of the forums who have bothered to rate it themselves.

Are we sure that isn't what is being seen here and the simple explanantion is it is because vast numbers of sites haven't been rated by WebRep users?

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 02:04:50 PM »
I have noticed no problem with FF 29.01 or any other FF version prior to this.

Are we sure that the problem is actually a problem?

For obvious reasons any web site that comes up in a search result that hasn't been rated by sufficient numbers of AVAST WebRep users will mean no WebRep icon will be present. If you go to the unrated site the main Toolbar WebRep icon will grey out.

I'm not sure how many people have to rate a web site for the WebRep rating to work but, for example,  I'm on several very well populated forums which have existed for more than a decade. I submitted a WebRep rating for them when the feature was first provided. They're still not showing any rating. There's just a greyed out WebRep icon which I've always assumed is because there simply aren't enough AVAST users of the forums who have bothered to rate it themselves.

Are we sure that isn't what is being seen here and the simple explanantion is it is because vast numbers of sites haven't been rated by WebRep users?

Yes, thereĀ“s absolutely no doubt! On CLEAN installation of Firefox 29 and newer (NOT updated from old version) is AOS addon "dead", icon is greyed out on ALL webpages, settings are unreachable (blank page), no green "ticks" in search results..

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 02:32:17 PM »
iroc9555's trick worked for me, too. Installed v.27.0 and then upgraded from within: green ticks are back and everything works fine!