Author Topic: EICAR testing  (Read 4940 times)

MFB

EICAR testing
« on: April 26, 2005, 05:46:51 AM »
When I first use the EICAR testing virus, avast didn't do anything to alert me.  But the second time it did, then later a few minutes, I try again and again no response, then I try the EICAR testing again after no response and then it reponded.  Is this normal if avast didn't detect the EICAR virus the first time but does in the second time?

MFB

Re: EICAR testing
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 07:05:38 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but maybe this problem rose because Firefox downloads a page a bit slow and maybe the EICAR virus wasn't ready to be downloaded yet.  I try testing the EICAR virus with IE and avast detect it fine and fast.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 02:40:46 PM »
What are your Standard Shield settings? - High, Scan all Created/Modified files, what?

Is the Web Shield provider running and is it scanning your firefox files as they are downloaded to your temporary internet cache? - check the avast icon is spinning and the number of scanned files increases in the Web Shield details.

What is your OS?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 03:31:21 PM »
You can set Standard Shield to give you a message on screen when it scans a file. Open its settings, go to Advanced tab and check 'Show information on action performed'.
After testing eicar file, disable this option and enable the one from Web Shield (the same option).
Test it with eicar.
What do you see? Do you see a message on the first, on the second, both?
The best things in life are free.

MFB

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 12:28:15 AM »
I'm setting webshield to normal and Standard to high, maybe it's just Firefox cause when I test the EICAR on my IE, avast detected it fast.  Firefox seem to download things a bit slower than IE.  Then I use MSN Premium and my Standard Shield detected it quickly as my IE and I had to delete the file.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 03:05:03 AM »
MFB, are you sure you've configurated your Firefox settings correctly to work with WebShield?
Step-by-step instructions on how to set up a proxy server:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12123.msg102656#msg102656
The best things in life are free.

MFB

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 03:34:42 AM »
It's okay now, I just found out that I click test to fast before it finish downloading the web page that it didn't have time to send me the EICAR virus.  I have the proxy server establish okay.  Thanks anyway  ;D