Author Topic: When was the last time you were infected and how?  (Read 12581 times)

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
When was the last time you were infected and how?
« on: July 22, 2013, 06:04:35 PM »
1. When was the last time you were infected by malware?

2. What was the name of it and what effect did it have?

3. If you know, how did you become infected?

4. With your experience, what is the most common method for you to run into malware?

Every couple of days I see the UPS/FedEx email show up in my junk folder and know better than to click on the link. The sender never has an authentic UPS or FedEx email address. At times, avast! will block a malicious site. Other than this, I rarely ever run into malware.

For me, I really need to put forth an effort to become infected by intentionally visiting malicious websites and running risky executables. Even then my security setup blocks these attempts.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 06:26:55 PM by Charyb »

dmoore19

Re: When was the last time you were infected and how?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 07:10:20 PM »
  Hello, I currently am dealing with malware, but I'm unsure of its origin and we haven't figured out exactly what it is just yet. I'm pretty adamant about PC security so I usually only have to remove a few tracking cookies from time to time. I know better than to click links in chain mail messages and had different aspects of security (avast! Antivirus, MBAM, SAS, etc.) installed and updated prior to my infection. In retrospect, I just wish that I would've utilized portable compilers vs. downloading and installing them locally; I could be wrong, but I have a hunch that they played a part...

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 07:24:51 PM »
1. about a year ago i think
2. Trojan Ransome.... russian version
3. did a mistake when uploading samples, managed to run the file instead of uploading     :-\
4. when i download them.... every day     ;)

Every couple of days I see the UPS/FedEx email show up in my junk folder and know better than to click on the link. The sender never has an authentic UPS or FedEx email address. At times, avast! will block a malicious site. Other than this, I rarely ever run into malware.
you should send the zip attachment to avast lab.   ;)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 07:36:27 PM »
Unintentionally .. Never. 

Intentionally multiple times :)

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 08:31:29 PM »
Never.
See my first answer. :)
See my first answer again. :)
4. With your experience, what is the most common method for you to run into malware?
To insert an infected USB stick but my Avast is always on guard.
May the FOSS be with you!

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 09:25:44 PM »
Got to be close to 20 years ago, long before I had internet access.  When my system (DOS 5, IIRC) wouldn't work properly, I took it into the shop.  A couple of days later they told me "a virus" (they didn't identify it to me) had physically damaged the bios and mobo -- they replaced both, considerably upgraded, dirt-cheap, maybe $20-25.

Back in those days the most common transmission was via infected floppies, which is probably how I acquired whatever.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 09:35:23 PM »
1) February 2010
2) Trojan (Can't remember the name/type.)
3) Visiting an innocent(?) website.
4) Visiting innocent(?) websites.

I "was" using AVG when I got the infection. AVG failed to block it, but did catch it during a scan.
My son told me about avast. Decided to give avast a test run. avast has saved my computer
numerous times since then. It seems as if avast keeps blocking malware/infections.  8)
Been happily infection free using avast for three and a half years.  8)

Guess which a/v I use?  8)
My son still uses avast.  8)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Online bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 10:02:43 PM »
10 years ago when I changed over from Norton to avast! and avast! got rid of all the infections Norton missed.
That was also many OS ago. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Secondmineboy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 10:04:41 PM »
1: Never
2: Number 1
3:Also see Number 1
4: Visiting malicious Websites or open nasty Mails

Before i used Avast, i had AVG, before i had my own Computer we had Norton, but the computer of my Grandpa got infected
with 3 Trojans, then we switched to Avg, as AVG was slowing down my system i switched to Avast, the others are still using AVG and my
Uncle uses Malwarebytes Pro with AVG.
Windows 10 1909, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD, 1366 by 768 LCD Screen, Intel Core i3 5010U Dual Core, Intel HD Graphics 5500
HUAWEI P30 Pro. Android 10

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 12:57:43 AM »
Last real malware decided me to come here, install avast! av and join the avast! support forums, that is 8 years ago now.
Last time I was tricked with bundled BHO crap- or junkware from a non-malicious download site was a couple of weeks ago.
The uninvited hijacker also disabled the Google Chrome update profile settings in the registry, so I had to reset that in the registry.
Only use direct downloads now, as zipped bundles can come under the detection radar, and crap is often only cleansed by AdwCleaner and the likes
and sometimes not even fully disabled.
For cleansing tools go to anti-malware forum site download links, they are scanned not to contain these "extras".
I can understand that the developer of freeware software also has to pay the bills or wants to buy some decent marmalade to spread on his toast,
but pester users with bundled browser hijackers that border on being malcode and hard to uninstall is causing these to be once bitten twice shy,

polonus

P.S. All those in the UK, congrats with the birth of the royal baby boy - hippity hip hooray!!

Damian
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Dch48

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 01:03:20 AM »
Never, no matter what security program I was using. I used Norton for 10 years without a problem, then Comodo, then Avast for almost 2 years, and now back to Comodo.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 01:16:39 AM »
Hi Dch48,

Know that you take well-founded decisions. What did  you decide to return to Comodo?

Well I am very satisfied with the avast! Webshield and Networkshield as such.
I had no real file infections of course (also have NoScript and RP in the browser),
but I get an average of some 59 shield detections from scanning malware sites
to add to avast detection oversight each month.

This all because of my website scanning activities here
(third party scanning and cold reconnaissance only) -
not that dramatic really,
because when avast finds a piece of script even without real payload
it already will start to hoot  the sirens.

In the aftermath I always do a complete scan of all of  the browser folder
to take out the remainders of these flagged incidents.
With some scanning I use Malzilla that will cleanse all because it is sandboxed.

Well when if it furthers the avast! course, it is well worth it and I see no problem there  ;)

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

iroc9555

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 01:48:02 AM »

First time was in 97-98. The next and last time was in 2006-2007.

The first time I got all that you can imagine. Worms, viruses, trojans. My Win95 was a mess. 5-7 mins boots. the cursor would go everywhere but where I wanted. Could not write anything, or go to any website. The last time was an autorun inf that Avast! got most of it.

The first time. Norton expired and I did not know better. The last time I connected a drive for some music or pictures.

Now, it would be just browsing unknown sites or connecting someone else's flash, phone, EHDD.

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 01:54:46 AM »
On this computer? Actually never to be honest..
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 01:55:40 AM »
I was never infected when I had my new laptop with W8 lucky for me with Avast Free and CIS as well
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip