Author Topic: AVAST 8 OUTLOOK PLUG-IN CRASHING ALL MY OUTLOOK CLIENTS COMPUTERS !!!!!!!!!  (Read 16822 times)

joealbergo

This is happening randomly throughout the day to all of my Outlook clients.

Faulting application outlook.exe, version 14.0.4734.1000, stamp 4b58fdfa, faulting module asoutext.dll, version 8.0.1490.363, stamp 51cbf3a6, debug? 0, fault address 0x00019040.

Event logged and Outlook crashes and restarts.

Need to fix this - ASAP !
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 08:20:08 PM by joealbergo »

Offline Avosec-UK

• Avosec Technical Support
  • Avast Reseller
    • Avosec
avast! Outlook plugin is crashing all your client computers with Outlook or avast! Outlook plugin is crashing Outlook on all your client computers?

nannunannu

avast! Outlook plugin is crashing all your client computers with Outlook or avast! Outlook plugin is crashing Outlook on all your client computers?

Chioce #3...  avast! Outlook Plugin is crashing outlook on all the client computers belonging to his clients.   :P

From the other thread, it sounds like this is limited to Outlook 2007 and concentrated around Windows XP?  I'm musing out loud about Office 2007 SP3 as I have another vendor who don't support Office integration with that specific flavor of office for some reason that they wont' tell us. 

No issues here with various combinations of Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8, and Office 2003 and Office 2010 (32bit)...  We skipped Office 2007 though, except for the necescary install of just the MODI component when running Office 2010...

joealbergo

As awful as it sounds.

Yes, after the upgrade to Avast 8.

My clients here, all of them with Windows XP and some with 7 are stating there Outlook is Crashing and freezing.

This was never, ever a problem before.

This is the first time ever that I've had several clients at the same time have crashing Outlook and this just started after the update.

nannunannu

This is the first time ever that I've had several clients at the same time have crashing Outlook and this just started after the update.

On a test machine that is exhibiting the issue - Disable office plugins and make sure you don't have both the old and the new avast plugin still on the system. 

If that isn't it, see if there are any other third party plugins that might be interacting poorly with avast.  (ie - you can run the "flism flasm" plugin, and you can run the avast plugin, but you can't run both the avast and the "flism flasm" plugin at the same time with out crashing).

Please report specifically what version of Outlook is crashing.

joealbergo

Alright -

ID: 6, Application Name: Microsoft Office Outlook, Application Version: 12.0.6668.5000, Microsoft Office Version: 12.0.6612.1000. This session lasted 24589 seconds with 3240 seconds of active time.  This session ended with a crash.

This is what shows up in the log when it crashes.

To answer your concern in regards to any other "Third Party plugins" -- Outlook has been running on these computers for years. It was working great with Avast 7.

It was up until I deployed the version 8 all these workstations started to drop.

joealbergo

This is the XP Error for Office 2007: EventType officelifeboathang, P1 outlook.exe, P2 12.0.6668.5000, P3 ntdll.dll, P4 5.1.2600.6055, P5 NIL, P6 NIL, P7 NIL, P8 NIL, P9 NIL, P10 NIL.

This is the XP Error for Office 2010: Faulting application outlook.exe, version 14.0.4734.1000, stamp 4b58fdfa, faulting module asoutext.dll, version 8.0.1490.363, stamp 51cbf3a6, debug? 0, fault address 0x00019040. :o

nannunannu

To answer your concern in regards to any other "Third Party plugins" -- Outlook has been running on these computers for years. It was working great with Avast 7.

Understood.  And if you want to reminisce about the past, that is a good way to look at it.  On the other hand, if you want to figure out why it's happening to you, and not say to others with v8 installed, you could try some basic troubleshooting.

joealbergo

So far all you have made is small talk. I gave you the information you asked me for.

Basic Troubleshooting? I did what you told me, there is no second version of the Plug-in running only the most current.

What, my friend would I troubleshoot that is basic here when I am not the developer of this program.

I'd love to read your next reply.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:31:22 PM by joealbergo »

Offline 1tb

From the other thread, it sounds like this is limited to Outlook 2007 and concentrated around Windows XP?

No not just Outlook 2007- we see it in Outlook 2003... but only on Win XP.  Uninstall avast 8 EPSP. Here we go again!  :-[

nannunannu

So far all you have made is small talk. I gave you the information you asked me for.

No, actually you didn't.  Previously you said:

Which is faulty logic.  Something changed.  Yes, that something was an upgrade to avast v8...  But that doesn't mean that there are not OTHER FACTORS contributing to the problem you are currently experiencing.  Otherwise, every single person who upgraded to v8 would be crashing outlook, and I can attest to the fact that isn't happening.  There are more pieces to this puzzle.  Don't ignore them.

Basic Troubleshooting? I did what you told me, there is no second version of the Plug-in running only the most current.

This is the first time you've confirmed this.  Previously you only stated that it has been working fine for years.  That does not speak to how it is currently working, or anything else about the environment.

What, my friend would I troubleshoot that is basic here when I am not the developer of this program.

You are not the developer, but you are in control over the environment for which the problem is occuring.  You are in control over eliminating all other variables and providing information about what makes your envinronment (where the problem is happening) unique  and different from other environments like ours where the problem isn't happening; so that the developer (for which I am not) can be provided enough information to recreate the problem in a controled test environment, and then work on resolving the issue.

With that said...  I'm playing a hunch that it is an interaction between two plugins.  It's easy enough to enable and disable plugins in outlook, so why not strip it back to just running the avast! v8 addin and see if the crash happens.  Yes I realize that the crash didn't happen with all the other plugins running with the avast v7 addin, but if the avast v8 addin doesn't crash all by itself in your environment, hey, we've learned something!  If it does crash all by itself, hey we've learned something too! 

If you don't provide that kind of information, and just want to wait for someone to guess why it's crashing for you, and not for others; you are going to be waiting a long time.

You can also go to avast > Settings > Maintenance > Enable debug logging - and then look for copies of asOutExt.log on your local disk (for XP I found it at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\log )...  Will probably show at least what the plugin was doing at the time of the crash.

I'd love to read your next reply.

Hope this lived up to your expectations.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 07:14:14 PM by nannunannu »

Offline petr_matrix

• Avast team
  • avast! programmer
    • AVAST Software
Hi all,
I apologize to you for problems with outlook.
Can you try to disable "add entries from address book to whitelist automatically" at antispam shield? It could help.

Thanks,
Petr

joealbergo

Petr,

Yes I will try this.

joealbergo

Petr,

I have made the proper settings adjustment and will monitor the usage of Outlook and various users through the logs, thank you for the suggestion.
Will respond here soon if I notice any positive/negative changes...

Thank you,

Joe

joealbergo

Hi all,
I apologize to you for problems with outlook.
Can you try to disable "add entries from address book to whitelist automatically" at antispam shield? It could help.

Thanks,
Petr

Petr,

I want to let you know that so far all day 2 of my test machines have been running great and Outlook has not failed once.

Can you please advise Che of this --- they are working on this ticket for me and have not heard back from them in a week.

I will still keep a close eye before re-deploying the toolbar to all my workstations.