Author Topic: [Free] Allowing a virus when a popup appears? (Urgent)  (Read 18024 times)

Fatih54102

[Free] Allowing a virus when a popup appears? (Urgent)
« on: July 25, 2013, 09:00:42 PM »
Hello, avast asks me what to do when a virus detected.
Block
Remove
Move to Quarantine

here i want to add "Allow" setting.

This is real important to me, if i can not do i will neither buy avast(now it seems the best av for me with best ui) nor using free version(testing).

I can wait update for 1 month but this is important(directly related to my bussiness) so i may not wait more.

PLEASE do not suggest adding exclusions list. it is the same but it steals my time so much.

Best Regards...

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: [Free] Allowing a virus when a popup appears? (Urgent)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 09:08:16 PM »
why would you allow a virus to be run.....

Aventador

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 09:15:11 PM »
I don't think its to allow malware to run as much as it could be false positives. The urgency will clearly not be addressed. I highly doubt Avast will all of a sudden make new version with this request built in. 99% of antiviruses do not have an "allow" option. A HIPS program or a firewall does have either block or allow. What trouble are you having? Is Avast detection a legit program as malicious? The reason an "allow" option is not there is to protect users from themselves. What is the average user comes across a piece of malware and clicks "allow"by accident? Then the are infected. But who would they blame? Avast of course and not themselves. This is why programs such as a HIPS are for advanced users only.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 09:22:22 PM by Aventador »

Fatih54102

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 09:22:08 PM »
as i said it is important for bussiness-specific reasons.(if you want to more information, p.m. me)
comodo and mse have this option but i think they are worse than avast.

maybe developers added a registry entry to allow this option?

---

in my opinion this is annoying because you can add a file to exclusion list but can not directly allow by selecting allow.

also i want to say that avast has the best free virus program gui. simple and useful.

Aventador

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 09:25:01 PM »
Lol..................MSE also has the worst detection rate on the market. Comodo Internet Security by default removes malware related threats automatically. Firewall and HIPS alerts are different. Watch this video and when CIS pops up a malware alert there is no option to allow it. Unless your speaking of after you run a full scan? You only need to run a full scan with Avast about once a month or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pGpXoNTGwo
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 09:27:55 PM by Aventador »

Fatih54102

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 09:27:55 PM »
I don't think its to allow malware to run as much as it could be false positives. The urgency will clearly not be addressed. I highly doubt Avast will all of a sudden make new version with this request built in. 99% of antiviruses do not have an "allow" option. A HIPS program or a firewall does have either block or allow. What trouble are you having? Is Avast detection a legit program as malicious? The reason an "allow" option is not there is to protect users from themselves. What is the average user comes across a piece of malware and clicks "allow"by accident? Then the are infected. But who would they blame? Avast of course and not themselves. This is why programs such as a HIPS are for advanced users only.

i really must have this option because i work with files which make falsepositive to all virus-programs. for example i made a simple resource extractor(which extracts files from .rsrc of an exe file); avast detect this as 'Dropper' but indeed it is not.
Another example: some people obfuscates their .net framework programs to make it nearly impossible to read with reflector, but avast detects this as obfuscated so i can not run quickly. It is very good showing file obfuscated but it is really annoying as i can not run that quickly.

Aventador

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 09:31:07 PM »
Well then maybe you should be using a work machine offline. Do all your software designing on a dedicated offline machine which needs no antivirus. A machine that is strictly for designing software. I honestly do not know what to tell you. I am not an Avast software engineer but as I previously stated I highly doubt Avast will urgently grant your request.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 09:36:05 PM by Aventador »

Fatih54102

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 09:34:21 PM »
Lol..................MSE also has the worst detection rate on the market. Comodo Internet Security by default removes malware related threats automatically. Firewall and HIPS alerts are different. Watch this video and when CIS pops up a malware alert there is no option to allow it. Unless your speaking of after you run a full scan? You only need to run a full scan with Avast about once a month or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pGpXoNTGwo
Thats why i do not like MSE. Comodo is a good alternative but it is not good as much as avast.
I remember that i did a few tweak to comodo then it asked to me what to do (allowing enabled).

Is there any developer in this forum? Could you call them here?

Because without this option, it makes avast be impossible to suitable with developers-programmers.

(Sorry for bad english)

Fatih54102

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 09:35:58 PM »
Well then maybe you should be using a work machine offline. Do all your software designing on a dedicated offline machine which needs no antivirus. A machine that is strictly for designing software.
Problem is there. i do not have another computer.
And developing within virtual machine is a very laggy and bad idea.

Aventador

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 09:38:34 PM »
Again I will say and the video backs it up that Comodo does not have an "allow" option when malware is detected. Also by default the HIPS module is off. So unless it was a behavior blocker alert then that is different. Best bet is to email Avast and ask them to add your idea into the next build. But I assure you it wont cause its to dangerous. When Avast detects your software is it a virus alert or a behavior blocker alert?

http://www.avast.com/en-us/contacts
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 09:40:49 PM by Aventador »

Fatih54102

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 09:40:08 PM »

Fatih54102

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 09:41:47 PM »
Again I will say and the video backs it up that Comodo does not have an "allow" option when malware is detected. Also by default the HIPS module is off. So unless it was a behavior blocker alert then that is different. Best bet is to email Avast and ask them to add your idea into the next build. But I assure you it wont cause its to dangerous.

http://www.avast.com/en-us/contacts

But if they dont add it is a bad point for developers.
I think devs(like me,not classic) are not using avast.

It would be good if they add a registry entry to allow this option visible.

Aventador

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 09:45:35 PM »
What version of Avast are you using? Again adding an allow option is a like giving a loaded gun to a child. We have several software engineers at my work. They all develop things inside a VM. I have used just about every antivirus out there When malware is detected I have never seen an allow option.  Maybe a dev will grant your request but dont hold your breath. Your request is a very dangerous idea.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 09:47:35 PM by Aventador »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 09:59:23 PM »
Avast Software has for some considerable time refused to have this one click option to Allow, as it is just too prone to accidentally allowing a virus to run.

They have to consider the 180+ million users when considering options like this and air on the side of safety over convenience for the few. That is why they have gone down the deliberate addition to an exclusion list.

Allowing some means of circumventing this, registry entry or otherwise could possible be introducing a security hole, that could be exploited.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Aventador

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 10:42:56 PM »
Very good explanation DavidR.