Author Topic: Avast boot time scan logs can't be found, and...  (Read 27543 times)

Paul D4101

Avast boot time scan logs can't be found, and...
« on: August 07, 2013, 12:27:52 AM »
I have been using Avast! Free since my wife and I purchased an new Windows 8 desktop back in January.  It seemed to be working fine up until about two weeks ago (the exception being that the "full system scans" scheduled to run at 4:00 a.m. EST never ran as scheduled.  They would run at random times, such at 6:37 a.m., 7:11 a.m., etc., etc.)

Then I started getting error code "33" messages for my .pst files for two separate email accounts:  "The system could not scan the file specified because another process has locked a portion of the file".  (or something very close to that message)

Things got more interesting (not) when a few days ago, when I got up in the morning, I'd go to the computer and there would be an Avast! message stating something to the effect of: "Scan failed - "Full system scan aborted". (Noone here had aborted the scans!)

A more tech-savvy friend of mine suggested doing an uninstall/reinstall of Avast! As per his advice, I uninstalled Avast (from control panel), then downloaded the Avast uninstaller (aswclear.exe) and ran it from safe mode.  As advised, I rebooted the computer twice, and then downloaded and installed the latest version (8.0.1489) from: http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/ .

Problems since then: 
- After reinstalling Avast!, I ran a boot-time scan (which took 2hrs. 47 min. to run), during which time Avast came up with hundreds of "Cab archive is corrupted - Error 42127" messages.  All but two of these were found in the external hard drive (F partition) I have hooked up.  Just two from the C drive on the new computer.  I was going to copy the logfile and send it on to my friend for analysis to see what could be done to clear these issues up,  but was unable to locate the logfile from any of the locations suggested here in this forum.

- The "full system scans" - that are set to run daily at 4:00 a.m. - just run whenever they darn well please;D Often, Avast! will start running a scan randomly, at say 2:00 p.m. while I'm trying to work on something else. I have quadruple-checked the anti-virus scan scheduler settings to no avail.  I also made sure that the checkbox next to "wake up the system to start the scan (if the computer is in sleep mode) was checked.

- The only good news I have to report is that I'm not getting the "Error 33" messages for the .pst files anymore...   ;D

I'm stumped.  Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.  I sure would like to be able to find the location of the logfile for that boot-time scan I ran a couple of days ago!

Sorry so long, but I wanted to give a complete description of the issues...

Best, Paul

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast boot time scan logs can't be found, and...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 12:45:20 AM »
After reinstalling Avast!, I ran a boot-time scan (which took 2hrs. 47 min. to run), during which time Avast came up with hundreds of "Cab archive is corrupted - Error 42127" messages
files that can not be scanned for reason given by avast is this forum most frequently asked question, so plenty info if you forum search

files that can not be scanned is normal and it does not mean they are infected, just that avast could not scan them, no more no less
avast may say corrupt archive if it can not unpack the archive and scan it....nothing to worry about, those files will be scanned by the realtime protection when whatever program use those files access them

Paul D4101

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 01:56:23 AM »
Pondus:

Thanks for the reply:  OK, I now understand the "Cab archive is corrupted - Error 42127" messages concept.

Any ideas where in the C: directory I can find the logfile for the boot time scan?

Also, any ideas why the full system scans do not run when scheduled?

Still stumped why some of the scheduled scans were aborted, but since that hasn't happened since the last install, I'll let that sleeping dog lie...

Thanks again - Paul

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 02:01:24 AM »
does this help
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=97935.msg780971#msg780971

the scedule problem.... have no idea

Paul D4101

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 03:20:19 AM »
Pondus:

That's the exact thread I found a couple of days ago, and I looked in both locations mentioned (even though the first one only applies to XP machines).

I checked the second one "C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\report\aswBoot.txt," but says that it applies to Vista and Win7.  Could not find it there. Could it be that Windows 8 stores it elsewhere?

Maybe I'll set one to run a boot scan tonight, and see if it will produce one that can be found. 

Otherwise, if anyone has any additional info, it will be greatly appreciated.

iroc9555

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 03:38:41 AM »
I checked the second one "C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\report\aswBoot.txt," but says that it applies to Vista and Win7.  Could not find it there. Could it be that Windows 8 stores it elsewhere?

May be hidden. You have to change that option in Folder options > Show Hidden Files or Folders.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-see-hidden-files-in-windows/#windows8

No idea about the schedule scan. I do not run win 8. However I understand, it has a funny hybrid go to sleep and restart fast mode. So... you can start there, see if that interfere with schedule task for any program.

Good place to ask: http://www.eightforums.com/

Paul D4101

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 05:45:21 AM »
Thanks.  Will try a boot-time scan overnight & look again.

Best, Paul

Paul D4101

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 07:33:23 PM »
Ran a boot-time scan overnight.  This morning, I was able to find the aswboot.txt file.  As IROC9555 said, it was a hidden file and checking the box "show hidden files and folders" as well as "show filename extensions" did the trick.

It contained both of the boot time scan logs I'd been looking for (the ones run on 8-4 and 8-7).   ;D

Also, for the first time in a long time, the scheduled full system scan ran as scheduled!

Thanks to all for your Help!

Will post back if I encounter any problems in the next couple of days.

PS:  IROC 9555:  What year IROC do you have (if so)?  I had an '87 that was pretty tricked out.  Email or PM me if you have time.

Best, Paul

iroc9555

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 01:21:00 AM »
Glad you could find the report.

~~~~ Off topic ~~~
My IROC-Z was long time ago. 85, Tune Port Injection. Sport package. I installed a special chip and a 140 mph speedometer, but like I said, It was a long time when I was living in USA.

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 12:36:25 PM »
Interesting that another person recently, as I suggested in the thread below, might had trouble finding the Avast scan logs because things like this and the Application Data folder are, by default, hidden, at least they are with WinXP.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=131373.msg971052#msg971052 

The question we should all be asking is not how do you turn off the Hide files/folders option, although it always be useful to novices to have it explained, but why it was thought necessary to hide the Avast scan logs at all? Why are they not accessible through the main Avast menus? 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 01:55:55 PM »
I believe it is the parent folder that is the controlling factor all sub-folders are also hidden. So I don't believe that it is the intention of avast to hide the logs sub-folders but the OS deciding what should be hidden.

Another such decision that drives me bonkers is the 'Hide extensions for known File Types.' The problem is known to whom, most novice users aren't going to know them, so the answer would appear known to MS.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security