Author Topic: false positive?  (Read 9946 times)

paulo

false positive?
« on: March 09, 2003, 05:52:57 AM »
Avast is very nice. It's flagging Albert Yale's Ghost Mailer, GM51.exe, as a Win32 Trojan/Gen. Though that's confirmed by AntiVir, it's not by AVG and I don't think it actually is infected.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks much for a great prog.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:false positive?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2003, 09:12:00 AM »
Please tell us where to download this program. We'll check it out and let you know...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2003, 10:13:03 AM »
No, that is not really a false alarm, but it is not a Virus or Backdoor !;)
A bit confusing. It is so called Malware. It is a programm to fake the Emailheader and Emailadress. Other AV-Prgramms flag this Software too.  You can discuss, if it is nessecary to add Programms like that to the AV-Database, but i think all "bigger" Companys decided to do so. Maybe to avoid that this kind of Software will  be installed onto a Companys( Network.) Client. Under normal circumstances you do not need such kind of Software.
MfG Ralf

paulo

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2003, 02:30:07 PM »
Looks like the Albert Yale's site is down, but I found GM41 - not 51 - at http://www.cspltd.ndirect.co.uk/internet/clients.htm , about 80% of the way down the page.

I agree that this software is not normally necessary. Perhaps its potential for abuse is what is making it scarce. I got it at the same time as the author's Bounce Spam Mail, and just played with it a bit. I never use it but would rather not delete it. Just wondering why it flags the detector.