Author Topic: AMS Anti-Theft Now Requires Google Play Account  (Read 6716 times)

UserA789

AMS Anti-Theft Now Requires Google Play Account
« on: August 14, 2013, 11:16:57 PM »
I have been using AMS for some time now.  I removed my phone from the Google Play Store connection as it was contunally creating an UNTITLED CONTACT LIST that has still yet to be technically explained.  This 'extra' contacts account canot be modified or removed from the phone once you connect to Google Play services.

Because of the lack of details and technical requirement for this new CONTACTS account list, I chose to not attach my Android device to the Google Play Store.  I downloaded my AMS from the Opera Mobile Store, as they do not require a connection to download/install/operate my chosen apps.  Today, I find out that in order for Anti-Theft to actually start, it REQUIRES Google Play services; as well (stating as much in a pop-up), when I try to connect my Anti-theft to my Avast UI (https://my.avast.com/), I receive an error 'File not set'; refering to the lack of Google Play connection?

Is this a mistake that was overlooked or is Avast now getting on the Google Play-payday wagon and forcing users to connect to a service they dont actually require?

Can this be fixed or do we now bow down  :o to the almighty Google executives and their complete disregard of OUR ACTUAL privacy?

If this is how it needs to be done from here on out then just take the Opera store download down since we actually cant make full use without the Google Play service required connectivity.

UserA789

Re: AMS Anti-Theft Now Requires Google Play Account
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 11:22:03 PM »
Just to add... my feelings of constantly being connected/synced with the Google Play services are echoed here:

http://blog.avast.com/2013/06/17/androidobad-malware-gets-smarter-so-does-avast/

"...So, as always the point here is that you should only use Google Play when you’re hunting for apps."

OFF TOPIC:  The unknown BLANK/UNTITLED contact lists sure doesnt sound good at all after this blog and raises my own wonderment if this is how other malware designers are gaining access.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 11:23:48 PM by UserA789 »

kevpan815

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 01:18:32 PM »
Are you sure about that? Anti-Theft updated just nice to 3.0 Final on my Rooted Samsung Galaxy S4 through the Internal Update Mechanism. Just FYI.

kevpan815

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 01:23:17 PM »
If your wondering about other download availibility outside of the Google Play Store, I assume that will take some time before Avast gets the software out to all of their Partners and Resellers.

UserA789

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 06:33:17 PM »
Are you sure about that? Anti-Theft updated just nice to 3.0 Final on my Rooted Samsung Galaxy S4 through the Internal Update Mechanism. Just FYI.
Positive.. when I go to the Anti-theft setting screenit immeadiatly tells me I need to have a connected Google Play Account.  When I go to connect it to my.avast GUI, I get told the same thing.  I can enable the tick box for Anti-theft but CANNOT log sync it with my.avast GUI without a Google Play connected account.  This occured after it updated yesterday.

OF TOPIC:  BTW... maybe the difference is you are fortunate enough to have a rooted phone, while I am stuck not even being able to legally unlock mine.  It is currenltly against US law to unlock/root one's phone if it didnt comethat way.  Why is this important, becuase if you do commit these acts, you then violate the FCC contracts that provide ANY right to privacy.  This means that if the Hardware Agreement is no longer valid, my nosy, self-appointed 'God in Training' Mormon neighbor can literally use my phone as a wiretap without me doing anything about it... as well could hand over the recordings to police that they could legally use in court. This is the same result if you Jailbreak a device... you violate the hardware agreement that gives the device constituional privacy. So if you want to go and claim 'black helicopters' your neighbors are obviously more well off than mine... they dont even own a black car.  Of course my answer is to buy a factory unlocked device, but until I can get a lil more ahead; that wont be happening.. if anyone wants to buy me one to shut me up I wont complain!!!

:-X To behonest, this is probably why Congress made the bill that makes it illegal to unlock our phones... knowing everyone would anyways and now they dont even need warrants or only have access to meta-data  :-X

The above isnt designating that I blatantly break ANY laws of the USA.  It merely points out the problem with needing root access to our phones and the laws that prevent it along with penalties/uses.

UserA789

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 06:37:29 PM »
If your wondering about other download availibility outside of the Google Play Store, I assume that will take some time before Avast gets the software out to all of their Partners and Resellers.
I have no problem downloading Avast Mobile Security from the Opera Mobile Store... I personally would be flattered to knowI could download tha pp DIRECTLY from the provder (avast, whoever, etc.)

This thing that forces us to use the Play store... didnt we try and make that something that was to never happen?

(If you dont know who we are  8)... dont worry about it.  It IS NOT Anonymous.)

reinhardholzner

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 01:05:35 PM »
you'll soon not be able to use any apps without Google Play Services as Google more and more introduces functionality not to Android itself, but through Google Play Services. The benefit of this is that additional functionality will also be available on older Android versions without having to upgrade it.

UserA789

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 06:45:09 PM »
you'll soon not be able to use any apps without Google Play Services as Google more and more introduces functionality not to Android itself, but through Google Play Services. The benefit of this is that additional functionality will also be available on older Android versions without having to upgrade it.
..and isn't the Google crowd the ones so mad at MSFT for forcing certain practices upon us?  Yet here is the same group, disecting our emails to 'better market our email address' (I didnt get a GMail account to be advertisied to), the same group more and more forcing us to ONLY use their own source.

This is the most hypocritical crowd of folks (the Chrome and Google fanatics) on the internet >:( .. IMO.  Whats next, forcing us to pay them a fee to access the internet and device at all?

Why should a grou of security mindeed indiviuals, who actually understand what privacy is and why we should be alloowed to control EVERY bit of privacy on our net experience.  Google is fast becoming the Comcast of tomorrow... trying to own it all so they can say only they can use it.

TOPIC:  Since I can still, for the time being acording to the statement above by 'reinhardholzner' getting ready to change, download Avast from the Opera Mobile Store, can we include them in the Antitheft required downloading(s) or create a workaround in the antitheft so those of us that dont want to give our private lives over to Google can still make use of this AWESOME software app!!!  Can I only buy Avast from MSFT or can I find it in a mutlitude of places so that entrepenuership can remian a thriving tool even in tomorrows world of technologies?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:48:38 PM by UserA789 »

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 10:20:32 PM »
I think that custom installation of Anti-Theft should work in all versions, even in the one uploaded to Opera Apps.

Filip

UserA789

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 05:52:25 AM »
Let me calm down from the 'problems'  >:( Iv had to filter today and Ill take a video or pic of what Im encountering.  Im being told that I MUST use Google Play to use Antitheft... back on tomorrow.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 12:14:42 PM »
Services like geofencing will not work without Google Play.

UserA789

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 06:20:10 PM »
AWESOME... so lets get that in a BIG DISCLAIMER for those thinking they can use the ENTIRE AMS without connecting to GPlay.

Alwil might as well change the name of the product to Avast! Mobile Google Sync And Privacy Violator  :o

Google is so awesome, I cant wait until they rule the world and tell us all whats right and wrong and if we argue... they remove YouTube and any other Google product availability!!!

http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/microsoft-wins-high-ground-war-google

Again... isn't this what the Chome crowd was fighting AGAINST; to include Google's BLATANT vioaltions of our privacy via scanning our PRIVATE Gmail's just to "market us better."?  Does anyone remember that whats spawned the Chrome and Android begingins is being supposedly 'forced' to use certain things?

I, like many others, are starting to feel EXTREMLY PLAYED OUT by Google. What a mark Iv become to them  ::)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 06:22:00 PM by UserA789 »

UserA789

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 11:38:18 PM »
Here are my screenshots showing AMS Antitheft IS requiring Google Play connection to use.

The first occurs when enabling Antitheft.  Although it shows the tik box enabled, I still get the warning.  Additionally, with it supposedly enabled, I cannot connect the Antitheft module to my.avast.com and I get 'Account Missing' message; as shown in pic #2.

NOTE:  The email and phone in the picture are for example/demonstration purposes and I yield the EXACT same results using my actual email account and with my actual phone number.

UserA789

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 04:01:29 PM »
Would this be location and such?

Im only wondering as everything was working fine until the latest update.  Connecting to my Avast Account... using the my.avast portal to activate siren, location, etc.

Did Google make a cange over the Obad Trojan and this is why, or is there some other reason?

reinhardholzner

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 04:03:22 PM »
next update will remove the requirement and move it only to subscriptions screen and geofencing screen.