Author Topic: Thank You avast!  (Read 2996 times)

Norm321

Thank You avast!
« on: May 04, 2005, 01:52:16 AM »
avast! just caught 7 emails that came into my Yahoo email account that is set up in Outlook Express configured with YPops. I sent them all to the Virus Chest. The funny thing is though they have a clean message from Yahoo AntiVirus(they vary)

*** Server-AntiVirus: No Virus (Clean)
*** "YAHOO" Anti-Virus

*** AntiVirus: No Virus found
*** "YAHOO" Anti-Virus

*** Attachment-Scanner: Status OK
*** "YAHOO" Anti-Virus

They all had the yahoo website link after them. I didn't dare click it or paste it into here just in case it would bring you somewhere else. I have never seen a clean message on a yahoo mail, is this a spoof? Does Yahoo even do that? Thanks for any input and Thanks avast!  ;D

kamulko

Re: Thank You avast!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 01:56:44 AM »
Yes... Avast! rules. See this my recent post, if you want  ;D : http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13169.msg111025#msg111025

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 02:12:18 AM »
Norm,

when I first started checking out Avast I wanted to user the Eicar test virus to do so.  The only mail service I have that would let it through was Yahoo, all my others detected and removed the virus before the message got through their systems.

As to the validity of those "message clean" lines - I think they are highly suspect and I have not seen them in any of my Yahoo mail.  Yesterday I was conducting some Hotmail/WebDav testing with a friend when he received a bunch of "Yahoo Administrator" messages in his Yahoo account that had been bounced off various servers and were clearly bogus.

Norm321

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 04:45:46 AM »
Thanks guys, It sure looked like they were fishy to me. They weren't even addressed to me. They all contained the Win32:Sober-N(Wrm) virus. Thanks for the replies.