Author Topic: Adware, Spyware, Toolbars and other badware detection  (Read 5015 times)

ehcelino

Adware, Spyware, Toolbars and other badware detection
« on: August 17, 2013, 08:23:09 AM »
Guys, can Avast detect those before installed? I always check my installation execs in a list (the best I found is http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?s=8253296681c615e7ec8180fdb7292da5&app=calendar&module=calendar&cal_id=1&do=showevent&event_id=44514), and i was thinking about creating an automated script to do it via explorer menu, but then I thought: I have the one of the best AV installed on my machine, shouldn't it do the detection? But it doesn't! I thought these badware were at least treated as PUP's, unwanted software, but even turning everything on (Antivirus/Scan/Windows Explorer Scanning), and turning heuristics to max, it simply doesn't! Did a websearch, and most av's treat those 'ware as normal, two I've tested treat them as PUP's, and only NOD treat them as what they are, a threat and a very, very, very annoying thing. My girl's comp have 3 toolbars and 4 spyware every two months, and have you tried to remove them? God, they're worst than fleas! So, help! Am i doing anything wrong? Is there a place to tell avast that those are to be treat at least as pups? Or am I having to switch AV's again? I have the full internet suite, and damn it IS good, but i ain't running another program just to deal with annoying unneeded crappy software. Help! And sorry for the size of this post, but I'm kinda frustrated right now!!!!!!!!

true indian

Re: Adware, Spyware, Toolbars and other badware detection
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 08:39:37 AM »
No AV Program has 100% detection because everyday 10000+ viruses come out

Why didnt you in-built avast browser cleanup in avast AV to get rid of toolbars?

PUP= potentially unwanted program which means program isnt malware by itself but can be used for bad use.

follow this guide and attach logs here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

ehcelino

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 10:01:56 AM »
True, I think you misunderstood the issue. I know that new viruses are like their real parent (human viruses), they are released - even mutate! - by the 10's everyday, but that isn't the matter here. The thing is, ask.com toolbar and its "friends" are old malware, and they used to be less problematic before - they asked you before installing. Now, a lot of those "sloware" install silently and without asking, turning quick computers into XT's (if you are 10 years younger than me, XT is an old computer system which runned on 12Mhz 8086 processors, you can imagine how fast they were.) Back to the point, I have a very young niece who loves to install everything that blinks on facebook, so every two months her middle class notebook have to be cleaned, and I'm so very tired of that. But, i've found out that Windows Defender is very light but don't detect (bad word here). The other solutions require three or four softwares which are memory hogs, and when they are actually running (like scanning or something), the computer slows down a lot, and since it's a notebook, they always begin working when they shouldn't, because the machine isn't always on. And I am yet to meet a young girl that can wait 30 minutes to get into facebook. So, long story short: Avast IS is a GREAT av, she's running the free version, and if the full (or even better, the IS version - which have a GREAT firewall), i'd buy it for her. But if it doesn't, I'd have to go with NOD. I was looking at NOD specs right now, and I haven't analyzed another AV for a looong time, since i was almost fully satisfied with Avast, and ESET smart security does everything Avast IS does, have a anti-stealing thing that avast doesn't (at least in my version), and detect at least all major crapware. For the first time in two or three years I'm thinking about switching AV's again. Darn, I'm downloading the trial and setting up a VM to test it right now! I have 5 or 6 months of license yet, and I was about to buy a new 5 pc's one. Now I ain't so sure. Damn I talk too much.
About PUP: Don't you think that a thing that silently installs into your system, run stealthily, gives you hell if you try to remove it, monitor your activities and you-know-what else, send to a computer in a country we don't even have extradition treaties with, to send you "relevant ads" - which is what they say, who knows what they really do with all that data - isn't *at least* a "potentially unwanted program"? By my definition it should be classified as a virus, and a bad one! I have 6 computers which I'm always restoring - I use a disk cloning thing, so it's easier, but it is still a pain. So, I think my AV of choice should at least catch those things before they turn the comp into a turtle. uf!!!
If I understood your meaning here - "Why didnt you in-built avast browser cleanup in avast AV to get rid of toolbars?" - it does get rid of them. but they come back. all the time. Baidu malware for example, gives hell to the AV - I always use a specific tool to remove it, because I am yet to find an AV which can deal with it. But OK, it changes all the time. But if someone can create a list like this http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?s=8253296681c615e7ec8180fdb7292da5&app=calendar&module=calendar&cal_id=1&do=showevent&event_id=44514, AV's can simply use it - they can detect by the name of executable, install window title, whathever - or they can use the tool they have specifically to do it: the viral scan and heuristics. They DO detect viruses that ain't yet "in the wild" - I myself submitted three viruses found by Avast heuristics that were very specific - they targeted brazilian internet banking websites, two of them only worked on FireFox, the code was a mess and they came by mail inside an executable called "bank_important_thing.exe" - but the link always says "whathever.jpg or .pdf or .xls. Avast never let me run them, lest download ( i did it inside a VM because I like to know about those things, specially to teach my family not to get scammed online). And, since I like to think of me as a nice guy, I submitted them via IS. And two or three db actualizations later (guess 2 days for the one which took more time), Avast was naming them, not by heuristics, but they were inside the virus DB. It is very fast. Another point for Avast. It led me to buy the full IS, rather than AV (using free version at the time).

About the guide and link, again you misunderstood me. I have no toolbars or such in my system. I just want to know: can Avast detect them? If yes, why it isn't detecting my "infected" files that I'm using for testing? If not, God, WHY? It surely SHOULD! they are BAD as viruses are bad.

That led me to think: most AV's don't detect those badware. Are they being asked politely not to? Or paid not to? Good question.

I won't use an AV which works like a politician.

God I'm so sorry I write so much.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 10:03:39 AM by ehcelino »

true indian

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 10:30:20 AM »
Go ahead and google it...even HIPS,Sandboxing,generic sigs,behaviour protection can and will be bypassed.So there are timely remakes and new infection hashes of this type of crap coming out almost every day/hour.

with over 10000+ malware everyday,what do you expect?

What about your crazy browsing habits,which are a no.1 prompt reason to get infected.There will never be a 100% protection.

Say if you get vaccinated for a particular disease so you garuntee 100% protection from it,NO you dont.
read a guide on staying safe : http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=130289

All softwares are made by humans,it can only be improved on not made perfect.Even mighty uncle google can fetch you searches for this:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+much+malware+comes+out+everyday%3F
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=No+antivirus+is+100%25
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sandboxing+and+HIPS+vulnerabilities

Or prove your point!? Go ahead and make a antivirus software that is and will be 100% bulletproof and will never be in need of a security patch or fixing or adding of virus defination ever in life?  ;D

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

ehcelino

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 06:06:36 AM »
Now I'm sure you don't see my point. I am aware about all things considered in this thread, the thing is:
1. browser toolbars and malware like baidu, ask, etc are no new threat, they are here for ages.
2. if Avast can't detect them, it's a serious flaw.
3. if it WON'T detect them, it is worst.

All I am asking is, can it detect those?

UserA789

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 06:12:29 AM »
Now I'm sure you don't see my point. I am aware about all things considered in this thread, the thing is:
1. browser toolbars and malware like baidu, ask, etc are no new threat, they are here for ages.

This is good questions. I would like to hear as well... does this mean 180 solutions can start installing us with nCase (or other older known variants) again as well?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 06:12:54 AM »
yes if you turn on PUP scan.... that is off by default, since this is not malware but annoyware

PUP = not a virus / Possible Unwanted Program

true indian

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 01:10:27 PM »

Yes it of course can but you gotta turn it on and plus avast free has browser cleanup tool integrated in the tools tab to detect and clean such crap up.

ehcelino

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 09:56:45 PM »
Yes it of course can but you gotta turn it on and plus avast free has browser cleanup tool integrated in the tools tab to detect and clean such crap up.

yes if you turn on PUP scan.... that is off by default, since this is not malware but annoyware
PUP = not a virus / Possible Unwanted Program

As stated before, pup detection is on. My Avast is the Internet Security version, licensed. My heuristics is on full for windows explorer scan, also set to scan every file. I am not new to this kinda things.
I don't want to remove malware. I want my AV to detect it BEFORE installed.
By the way, why a potentially unwanted program differs from a virus? A pup maybe a software that runs once, scares you, and then goes away, not a thing that roots inside your browser, gives you hell to uninstall, makes your computer slow, download things from the web behind your back and worst, monitors your behavior and send it to who knows where.
I don't see OpenCandy and HotBar, for example, as PUP, and that's not just me: http://cyberwarzone.com/cyberwarfare/active-malware-list.

My analysis until now is that Avast does not detect those before install, and also cannot remove them accurately without help of other software on most cases. So, why should I pay for something that doesn't work the way it is supposed to? And, the reason I am posting about it in the forum is to confirm my findings or for someone point my errors, because maybe I am not doing it right, and since I think Avast is a great software suite, I am prepared to give it the benefit of doubt.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 11:46:08 PM »
There are no AV's to my knowledge that provide protection against these toolbar type programmes, in the main forum where I work we are removing these toolbars from systems with the A to Z of AV's
Only just recently has MBAM become more aggressive with these elements and will now remove them.  MBAM's main job is the removal of adware etc..

Offline claudiubotezatu

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 03:32:09 AM »
No AV Program has 100% detection because everyday 10000+ viruses come out

Why didnt you in-built avast browser cleanup in avast AV to get rid of toolbars?

Hi true indian,

this topic seems to be very irritating for you!

You provided EXACTELY the same answer  like in my post about FBI malware;

I do not think something like "Why didnt you in-built avast browser cleanup in avast AV to get rid of toolbars" is an elegant answer.

I really think the OP has a valid point here.

Either you like it or not!

true indian

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 01:37:41 PM »
Hi true indian,

this topic seems to be very irritating for you!

You provided EXACTELY the same answer  like in my post about FBI malware;

I do not think something like "Why didnt you in-built avast browser cleanup in avast AV to get rid of toolbars" is an elegant answer.

I really think the OP has a valid point here.

Either you like it or not!

There only 1 irritating thing that I hate is most of you over here not understanding the facts,did you even tried the links I posted,if not go try or try running a Antivirus lab yourself and then tell me how the hell you will prevent all those influx of 100000+ viruses coming out everyday...go read it instead behaving like a blind!  :P
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 05:21:10 PM by true indian »