Author Topic: Infected PC  (Read 15895 times)

Offline Secondmineboy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Infected PC
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2013, 03:09:55 AM »
Please check back tomorrow. Its 2 am in England now. :D
Windows 10 1909, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD, 1366 by 768 LCD Screen, Intel Core i3 5010U Dual Core, Intel HD Graphics 5500
HUAWEI P30 Pro. Android 10

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2013, 11:53:37 AM »
Lets confirm that my malware assessment is correct

Download and Install Combofix

Download ComboFix from one of the following locations:
Link 1
Link 2

VERY IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

* IMPORTANT - Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link here
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • Accept the disclaimer and allow to update if it asks

• When finished, it shall produce a log for you.
  • Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.[/b]
Notes:
1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions.

3.  If after the reboot you get errors about programmes being marked for deletion then reboot, that will cure it.

Please make sure you include the combo fix log in your next reply as well as describe how your computer is running now

r.clark

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2013, 04:46:13 PM »
After disabling all antivirus I saw from the system tray, I ran Combofix. After a few seconds I get a prompt that says that Kaspersky AV is still running and that I need to disable it before I continue.

I did use the KAV removal tool several days ago. I have checked through windows task manager and I don't see anything obvious, but if the process name isn't a shoutout then I'll probably miss it.

Is there a way to cancel the ComboFix scan for now? It says that KAV could interfere with the scan.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 06:47:54 PM by r.clark »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2013, 08:04:22 PM »
You can accept the warning it will do no harm

r.clark

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2013, 08:27:04 PM »
So I accepted the warning and nothing is happening. I've waited about 10 minutes for anything to happen. In fact, nothing I've recently tried to open is showing up as a window. I can see two instances of task manager in the system tray but nothing on the screen otherwise. Should I just reboot and try to run ComboFix again?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2013, 08:35:40 PM »
Yes try a reboot and if it fails again let me know

r.clark

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2013, 09:20:41 PM »
It went fine in safe mode, here's the log! :)

http://pastebin.com/Lq27GjY7

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2013, 09:39:47 PM »
All windows files check out as legitimate, and most of the removals were orphans and of no great import... 

Were you able to download and install chrome ?

Is explorer still being a pain

r.clark

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2013, 10:11:30 PM »
Nah, still cant get chrome. It will install normally until it gets to "waiting to download chrome" where it just continues indefinitely, never going to the next step. IE and Firefox work fine though. I think you're on to something about the boot up. Booting to my usual profile takes a few minutes, but the computer seems to take at least 5 minutes to get through initial startup programs. After that it takes about 15 minutes to run smoothly without being prone to hangups.

I have no idea what it is, but there's definitely something very odd going on with my computer. Like before, something is interfering with Avast. It's still displaying 0 days of protection left, and I can't reregister because I get an error. The software updater was working earlier but right now it's not operating. I also cant update and I haven't seen or heard the overlay alerts. It's just little things like that and the fact that I can't redownload chrome or get Skype to work. I uninstalled Java and downloaded the newest version, but that didn't help.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2013, 10:38:26 PM »
We did a full reinstall of Avast after the Kaspersky removal did we not ?  So that should be working properly now.  What version did you install and did you register it ?

I will go back and look at the startup elements

r.clark

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2013, 10:49:22 PM »
Yes, I followed your instructions. Avast was working fine, then later (after a reboot or two, I can't remember exactly) it regressed to its current limited state. While it was working, after I had initially fresh installed it, I updated it, registered, and ran a boot scan. I believe it was Avast free 7 or 8 (whatever is available to download on the site).

I can reinstall Avast again If you'd like.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2013, 10:51:23 PM »
Yes try once more please, a full uninstall again I will reprint the instructions here to save you searching :)

Lets reinstall Avast

Download Uninstall Utility to your Desktop.
Download the correct version of Avast 
Avast Free
Avast Pro
Avast Internet Security
Avast Premier
Disconnect from the net
Uninstall Avast via control panel

• Run aswClear
  • It will offer to reboot to safe mode .. Accept that

• Once it has rebooted to safe mode
  • In the Select Product to Uninstall dropdown choose the version of Avast that is on your system.
  • Press Uninstall
  • Once complete reboot your system to Normal Mode
  • Reinstall Avast
----------

r.clark

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2013, 12:46:06 AM »
So I reinstalled and launched Avast; I even got it to reinstall Chrome (it was included in the installation). I remember in the installation it said I had 30 days of protection. When Avast launched I could see at the home that the general status was green. Chrome was sluggishly booting up (the window said it was unresponsive but I knew it would resolve if I was patient) and this was when I noticed the smiley face became a frowny face and turned red. At the top it now says I have zero days of protection.

I think for now I'll try uninstalling it again and reinstalling in safe mode, and note any changes. I'd also like to try reinstalling it after I've uninstalled Chrome. Chrome itself seems to be working about the same. Navigating websites is ok, but closing, creating, or switching to other tabs results in the window saying it is not responding for about a minute, then going back to normal. If I wait through the unresponsive period it's fine but if I click or try to do anything it will crash. Using the Chrome search bar seems to be pretty slow too.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2013, 03:35:29 PM »
There is obviously something on your system that chrome does not like, I can offer little advice on that as I do not have Chrome installed I never liked it :)

I remember in the installation it said I had 30 days of protection. When Avast launched I could see at the home that the general status was green. Chrome was sluggishly booting up (the window said it was unresponsive but I knew it would resolve if I was patient) and this was when I noticed the smiley face became a frowny face and turned red. At the top it now says I have zero days of protection.
Once you register Avast that should change

r.clark

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2013, 05:50:23 PM »
Well I tried to reinstall Avast again. This time it goes straight to it's regressed state (with all the errors). When I try to register for protection I get "The AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error." I have no idea what's interfering with it now.