Author Topic: Skins statistics  (Read 7089 times)

Newton

Skins statistics
« on: May 06, 2005, 07:50:16 PM »
Hello,

First idea :

I wonder if anyone at Avast or maybe Sasha could post the statistics about the existing 35 skins, in terms of number of downloads and also if possible the date of creation of each skin.

This is not a matter of knowing which one is the "best" or more popular, but to find out statistics like how many downloads per month for each skin. If possible (but I doubt it is) it would be interesting to see those statistics for each month since each skin has been on the site. This way, we could find out which skins are becoming more and more popular or less and less popular.

More importantly, skin creators would have a very interesting basis to decide what should be done next.

Second idea :

I also think that it would be very interesting to have, on the skins download page, a more "standard" way to present each creation. Instead of just one sentence for each skin, something like :

- Picture of the skin in thumbnail size (this is already okay right now)
- The possibility of seeing a full-size image of the skin by clicking on the thumbnail

Then :

- Name of the skin
- Creator's name (and company)
- Date of creation
- A short text (with a maximum number of lines) explaining the skin, its inspiration source, the goal intended by the creator, etc. (This part is somewhat already done right now with the presentation of each skin).

I don't know, I just thought it would give a little bit more "presence" for the skins, for a better comparative way between them, and also give their creators more credits. After all, those guys work very hard in each of their creations. Finally, I don't think that this would eat much more space on the Avast server at all. Only a few megs to contain all the additional compressed .JPG full-size images. :P

What do you think of my two ideas?

Thanks to all.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 08:02:42 PM by Newton »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Skins statistics
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 08:05:46 PM »
What do you think of my ideas?
Thanks to all who want to give their opinion.

Very nice. I've asked sometime for similar things but I was never heard  :'(
Statistics could guide the skin creators to the users' taste.
About the layout of the download page, I miss the date when the skin was uploaded, the version, etc.
We never know when we have updates of the 'old' skins...  :-\
The possibility of seeing a full-size image of the skin by clicking on the thumbnail is a good thing too.
The best things in life are free.

Newton

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 09:30:37 PM »
Very nice. I've asked sometime for similar things but I was never heard  :'(
Statistics could guide the skin creators to the users' taste.
About the layout of the download page, I miss the date when the skin was uploaded, the version, etc.
We never know when we have updates of the 'old' skins...  :-\

Well, let's hope this time your demands will be heard. ;)

Yes, the version of skin would be another important criteria to include next to each one.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 03:49:42 AM »
Nothing to add Newton, you ideas are genius. I also asked Vlk few times to add full size pictures, because no one can get real picture looking just at those shrinked versions. If we have possiblity to click on thumbnails and get full-size screenshoot after clicking on those, I am sure it would help many people to decide whether to download or not that particular skin. See here, one of my old posts:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=2300.msg16378#msg16378

Statistics would be also nice, but I am not sure we can get that too...

Skin versions... well, I spoked to Vlk about that one too, and with few latest updates, we've got skin versions next to the skin name. It would be great if we can have those for each and every one in download section.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 04:38:09 AM by /szc\ »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Newton

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 05:07:04 AM »
Nothing to add Newton, you ideas are genius. I also asked Vlk few times to add full size pictures, because no one can get real picture looking just at those shrinked versions. If we have possiblity to click on thumbnails and get full-size screenshoot after clicking on those, I am sure it would help many people to decide whether to download or not that particular skin. See here, one of my old posts:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=2300.msg16378#msg16378

Hello Sasha,

Well, I guess other genuises thought of my ideas before me, so I don't have much credit. :D

I looked at your reference and the alternative picture for your Matrix skin. Wow, if that was too much and was rejected, my superheroine model will never pass... Hahahahaha... But it doesn't matter really, I will perfectly understand if Vlk doesn't want it.  :)

Well, at least, I will be glad to participate in those forums as usual and propose certain ideas sometimes. :)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 05:18:08 AM »
No, no... that skin was rejected just because I used photo of that actress (Monica Belucci), and photo wasn't taken from that particular movie (Matrix), but from some photoshoot, I don't know... so Vlk and I decided not to go with that version...
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

kamulko

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 03:38:39 PM »
What do you think of my ideas?
Thanks to all who want to give their opinion.

Very nice. I've asked sometime for similar things but I was never heard :'(

Don't worry, friend!
An ancient Italian wise man wrote: "The people love the true... only by the last man who's speaking!" :-) ahahah... do you know Machiavelli?

Newton

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 03:35:19 AM »
I'll just add a little sub-idea also, which could answer a question often asked here. The Web page skins page should also present, in the skins list, the ones that come automatically with the Avast software. So the corresponding credits can be given to their creators too.

And of course, in the text should be mentioned that they are included when installaing the Avast program.

If I'm not mistaken, I think those are now :

- Silver Panel (by Martin)
- SZC-KDE (by Sasha)
- Teak Zeppelin (by Martin)

and of course the low resolution one.

Am I right? Thanks.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 03:50:58 AM »
Yes, maybe that would be great idea... not because I want to see my name over there, it's already there anyway... maybe even to many times mentioned...

...but, because of the Martin. I would like to see credits given to that great guy. I asked Vlk once, regarding that, and he told me that Martin is not additional skin designer, he is a full member of Alwil staff, and this is his regular job... so there is no need to show his name next to skins. I personally think that it would be great, at least, to put something like this: "Skin creator: Alwil Software"

Also, no one ever noticed, but I'm gonna tell that right now... as you all can see, inside standard avast! installation, SZC-KDE is also included. But since, I had to decrease the physical size of the file, because of the bandwith, speed of the download and some other things, I replaced many 24-bit bitmap files inside the SZC-KDE with 8-Bit Bitmaps... I decreased the size, and skin is included into standard package... As you all know, 24-bit bitmaps are quite larger, but much, much better looking... millions of colors instead of lousy 256 color palette.

Anyway, SZC-KDE that is still available as separate, independent download in avast! official skin download section, is original version made with 24-bitmap files. So, I highly recommend to download that one as well. I'm not sure at this point, but I don't think it is mentioned anywhere next to that skin in download section... and IMHO, it should be mentioned, for sure it should be...

Cheers !

Newton

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 03:55:01 AM »
Thanks for the clarification about the 256 vs. 24-bit colors. I didn't notice that! :-[

So, there are no other skins included besides the ones I said, right? Just wanted to make sure.

And yes, if Avast prefers they could instead write their company name only in the "creator" topic.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 03:57:55 AM »
Thanks for the clarification about the 256 vs. 24-bit colors. I didn't notice that! :-[

So, there are no other skins included besides the ones I said, right? Just wanted to make sure.

And yes, if Avast prefers they could instead write their company name only in the "creator" topic.

Well, I'm not quite sure, but I also think that only 3 skins are the part of the standard package... I may be wrong though...

Edit: have to hit my bed, have to get up very early in the morning... so, see ya tomorrow my friend !

Cheers !

Newton

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 01:38:43 AM »
In case it bothers anyone ;D, I just found a Web site where they offer bigger sized images of the Avast skins.  :P

http://www.safety1stcomputing.co.uk/avast3/skins.htm

I guess now Avast won't have any choice but to update their skins page. ;)