Author Topic: Interface changes  (Read 3338 times)

LemonScrub

Interface changes
« on: August 26, 2013, 09:14:07 AM »
Whats up with all the interface changes?.. it was first a row of text options, then went to big icons, then its back to a row of text options.. if i didnt know any better i would think the 23 august update was a rogue update. Is the 23 august update a legit update, and how would we know?

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Interface changes
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 09:32:56 AM »
Hi,

users didn't like the big icons, so we reverted it back to rows.

Filip

LemonScrub

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 10:01:06 AM »
I do all my updates through google play, but after seeing this i wondered if this was a rogue update.. how do i check for sure?

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 10:15:46 AM »
You don't need to, Google Play does that for you.

Filip

LemonScrub

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 10:23:16 AM »
Google play does what for you?

I also noticed something else. Before when avast did auto scans it would display text information in the top bar where your battery and signal icons are, this no longer happens and instead the avast icon just flashes. was this also changed?

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 10:25:36 AM »
Google Play verifies updates for you. Also the system itself (Android) does that.

Hmm, so the icon just flashes during automatic scan (of what, apps, SD card, both?) and is there if you start the scan manually? I suppose you have the icon turned off in Settings, right?

Filip

LemonScrub

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 10:37:45 AM »
Wasnt there a recent exploit discovered to bypass the signature verification. also which android version checks for you?

Since using avast, i would do a manual definition update, and close avast, it would then do an automatic scan, and the icon in the top bar where your signal and battery indicators are, would flash with text.. now only the icon flashes and no text when this scan happens in the background. Why was this changed?

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 11:03:24 AM »
All of them do that. Yes, there was, but that was on the device only, not on Google Play servers so if you update via Google Play only, you should be fine.

I'm still not sure about which scan are we talking about. Is this an App Shield (Scan on installation) scan we are talking about? When you install/update a 3rd party app?

Filip

LemonScrub

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 11:13:24 AM »
If i open avast, and manually update the definitions, then do a full device scan.. once ive finished that and closed avast. i noticed in the past it would also do a background scan and the icon in the top bar would display text that its scanning. now the icon just flashes indicating the same

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 11:17:59 AM »
After a full device scan is complete, there is no "background scan" of anything tied to that and never has been. If you start the full device scan and close AMS then there was and still is a notification about the scan as it is running in the background. If you are talking about "avast! is protecting you" notification text then this has been removed, yes.

Filip

LemonScrub

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 11:43:49 AM »
yes thats the text i am talking about that used to appear in the top bar where the battery and signal icons are.. The avast icon just flashes now, is this how its suppose to be?

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 11:49:33 AM »
Yes. If you drag down the notification bar, it still says the same text.

Filip

LemonScrub

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 11:54:57 AM »
Yes i still see in the drag down, but now the icon just flashes instead of showing the text, why was this changed?.. with all these changes it makes one think its a rogue app, so am i safe?

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 12:18:46 PM »
We got some complaints for showing the message again and again in the ticker text and we felt like the icon itself is enough to ensure about AMS presence so we removed it.

Yes, you are safe.

Filip