Author Topic: Boot-time scan should wait until the end to ask you what to do  (Read 4951 times)

fdas45326

Boot-time scan should wait until the end to ask you what to do
« on: October 17, 2013, 03:44:52 PM »
Obviously when people do a boot-time scan, they can't use their computer, so they do it during the night or other time when they're not sitting there watching it.  So when it finds a virus, why does it stupidly stop scanning and ask the user what to do with it!?  When I come back to my computer it's sitting there waiting, and when I say "Ignore", I have to wait hours for it to finish the scan. 

It should scan the entire drive, keeping track of which files might have viruses, and wait until the end of the scan to ask me what to do with them, so that I can answer the questions and then quickly get back into normal working mode.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Boot-time scan should wait until the end to ask you what to do
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 04:01:29 PM »
the boot time scanner is supposed to be used when you have a problem or the program tell you to use it..
it was not designed to be used as a regular scanner

The boot-time scanner is an expert feature, and was designed to be used when there’s something bad going on on the system. And in these cases, I’d say that having to actually select the actions manually is a small price to pay.
https://blog.avast.com/2010/02/04/v5-bts-auto-actions/

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 04:02:48 PM »
You don't say what avast version you are using avast 8 or the avast 2014 (9.0.2006), my info and image relates to avast 2014. But should also be available in the avast 8 boot-time scan settings.

You could try changing the boot-time settings, from Ask to No Action, this should allow the scan to continue without your input.

You should then be able to check the boot-time scan report later.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Undead-Divine-Assassin

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 04:51:41 PM »
I still don't get this suggestion that a boot time scan with any AV is for expert "expert" use. If nothing is there to be worried about a boot time scan should give no different results from a full scan at the same sensitivity settings. The idea seems to be that if there is or you suspect there is a problem only then are you supposed to use the boot time scan on the advice of said expert to see if the AV can find something from outside the OS when the ordinary full scan doesn't.

The excuse that it might produce more FPs may be true but if that happpens it is a failing in the design of the AV not the fault of the user. Those FPs are still going to occur during any boot time scan whether you do it with the advice of an expert or off your own bat. 

I also agree with the OP, rather than stalling the scan when a suspect file is found during boot time scanning, why not include a thirty second window to respond and if the user isn't available or does nothing then continue the scan right to the end? There report and list all the actionable problems found and stop then rather than reboot.       

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 05:00:02 PM »
I still don't get this suggestion that a boot time scan with any AV is for expert "expert" use.
to my knowldege, avast is the only AV with a boot time scan

The excuse that it might produce more FPs may be true but if that happpens it is a failing in the design of the AV not the fault of the user.
i would call it a virus signatur error .... that is usually fixed in next VPS update

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 05:01:41 PM by Pondus »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 03:50:59 AM »
As far I've translated the software, the option "8" is "Ignore all" and will let the results only in the log/report file.
The "problem" that a first question need to be answered was already discussed in the past here in forums.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 11:44:14 AM »
As far I've translated the software, the option "8" is "Ignore all" and will let the results only in the log/report file.
The "problem" that a first question need to be answered was already discussed in the past here in forums.

Yes that will work also, but you have to wait for the first (if any) detection before selecting option 8, by changing the scan settings as in my post you can set it off and retire to bed or get on with something else not having to monitor your scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 05:53:49 PM »

Yes that will work also, but you have to wait for the first (if any) detection before selecting option 8, by changing the scan settings as in my post you can set it off and retire to bed or get on with something else not having to monitor your scan.
As you may remember, this was asked a lot in the past. I think Vlk posted a blog about it, at least, here in forums he came to explain the technical reasons.
The best things in life are free.