Author Topic: Browser Plugins  (Read 8023 times)

krupted

Browser Plugins
« on: October 18, 2013, 01:49:52 AM »
Hi, I installed avast and it's browser plugins semi recently and really enjoyed using them. I recently had upgraded to windows 8 64 bit and also updated to Avast! 2014 Free and no longer have my browser extensions from avast.

I either missed the browser plug in options on install or just skipped it. I really liked these plug ins and I cannot find them both in firefox plugins and can only find one in the chrome store.

My previous version of Avast had a browser integration section under settings so I could install them at anytime but I cannot find any way to install them after the fact.

please if anyone can help refer me to a secure avast direct download for all browser plugins or where to find the browser integration section of the latest avast update I would be so grateful!

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:56:03 AM by krupted »

krupted

Re: Browser Plugins
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 01:58:15 AM »
Anyone? Please help! I basically want to know how to add the avast web rep and adblocker browser plugins after I installed avast. I can no longer find the browser integration section in the settings menu.

vecchio

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 02:07:02 AM »

krupted

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 02:08:39 AM »
Sadly it didn't help as I do not have avast listed in my control panel.

vecchio

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 02:11:29 AM »
Very stranger,
You should have avast in the control panel

krupted

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 02:13:14 AM »
Hmm that seems odd. I have windows 8 if it makes a difference. Maybe I will reinstall avast

vecchio

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 02:51:20 AM »
 Please try to reinstall

I have win 8 and have avast in the add/remove programs

vecchio

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 02:53:12 AM »
also please read
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=137102.0

I hope that helps

krupted

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 03:01:48 AM »
@Vecchio - first of all thanks for attempting to help. I am confused when people offer help but fail to read what the person asking for help is looking for.

I say this because I NEVER said I didn't have in in my add/remove programs because I do. Someone was claiming they have an avast section of it's own in the control panel allowing you some more control options with avast such as browser integration. Others have confirmed this, as they removed those options from the gui some claimed they accessed it there. But as for the add/remove programs section that wont help me install browser plugins.

Also sorry (for real) if I seam snappy. I am frustrated and in your second comment you linked to my own post. Obviously I am aware of both forum subjects as they are both mine. ughhh so frustrated. ALso as I read more it seems those said plug ins may be why some of my other browser functionality and plugins aren't working right. Also why they pulled it from the gui?!

Anways I do appreciate any stranger taking time out of there day to help me and I dont mean to be rude just very very annoyed with avast in general after the update.

I think I am gonna install a clean version of 8 on my pc, upgrade to 8.1 and stick with defender until the free avs companies get their sh*t together and work out the kinks with 8.1.

Sorry for being grumpy. I give up!

vecchio

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 03:28:28 AM »
Forgive my ignorance to linked you to your own post, just tried to help

krupted

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 03:36:39 AM »
no, you are right I am really sorry. You are only trying to help and I really do appreciate that. I sometimes get really annoyed with the lack of support with a change major aspects between 1 version of a program to another. I definitely should not take it out on you. I personally had great luck with those plugins but others did not I think if they cause problems and they remove them they should make a clear statement about it and why so we understood why. if I saw that I may not have installed them in the first place. anyways I would like to say peace to you, you are totally right I am just completely frustrated but I am starting over from scratch and staying away from all non-windows antivirus program Intel these companies get things sorted out with the windows 8 .1 update.

krupted

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 04:17:01 AM »
Forgive my ignorance to linked you to your own post, just tried to help

Like I said in the previous comment I am really sorry.

My dad had a pretty decent pc he built and it was supposedly a 64 bit machine but he didn't know apparently and installed windows xp 32 bit.

I recently upgraded to windows 8 pro 64 bit and it worked great (installing) but has been a challenge getting old programs I love working, my recording  and gaming gear set up. SO when avast turned things all around I got frustrated and annoyed.

Wanting to install 8.1 is stressing me out even more. Not trying to make excuses for my words just explain myself and apologize. Is there a way to delete your thread here? If not I guess my attitude will remain for all to see at least I can admit fault and apologize.

On another note. I restarted firefox and chrome various times throughout posting here today and about 5 minutes ago when I opened firefox again the install for one of the plug ins appeared. I found it odd and very random. I wonder if possibly all the confusion here (I'm not the only one posting about the apps) had them do a small update or something that kicked the prompt in?

On another note you can install the adblocker from avast through your c drive in the avast program folder, go to adblocker locate the corresponding browser and drag the file inside the folder to your browser (it should prompt the browser to install the plugin - this does not work for the internet security plugin).

One issue I found with the internet security program but also have a complex work around is that it attempts to block tracking sites etc. but it was breaking websites (like the southpark video site for instance as there videos don't play correctly without adds) - I tried un-checking all the boxes and reloading theoretically unblocking the ads and tracking sites but it still wasn't working. I then tried disabling those settings in the plugins options and it still didn't work. Finally I disabled the plugin and the commercial loaded allowing the episode to play.

So my workaround involves using ghostery (a more in depth but less user friendly version of what the avast plug in tries to accomplish - i prefer the avast's simplicity and wish ghostery had them organized in the same manor) anyways I use ghostery for the same security purposes when avast is disabled (as it only interferes with some and like I said it's simpler than ghostery) and disable ghostery and re-enable the avast plugin when not using a site it breaks. So that's my work around odd as it is.

I hope that makes sense. Long winded I know but it's been a long, challenging day. You may ask why I want this plugin so bad if it breaks sites? I haven't found a web rating site that displays ratings for pages on google search since I stopped using WebOfTrust. The avast plugin does the same thing but better in my opinon as WOT is purely based on opinion and false positives many safe sites. I for some reason feel a little safer browsing random websites with that avast symbol giving me a little heads up.

I also now use webutation which is great as it gets it's info from antivirus sites, google scans and WOT to name a few - the problem with webutation is it doesn't give it's rating until after you load a page.

Anyways, Sorry again and sorry for this last rant but I hope if anyone understands any of it (I am so tired rite now) I hope it may help someone.
- Peace

alfun

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 09:35:43 AM »
I'm also looking for the Browser Integration option page.

Also in the new avast! 2014 I cannot find WebRep & Antiphising or SiteCorrect options page.  Anyone know how to get to these pages in the new avast?

I have never seen avast in the Control Panel before.  Maybe he meant Add/remove program?  If you go to uninstall avast, there is an option called Change, then look under Tools - Browser Protection.  I un-ticked this option and now Firefox uninstalled the avast Add-on in the Firefox Extensions.  This plugin is for those green bars that you see when doing Google searches, I believe this is what you're looking for.

By removing Browser Protection I don't know exactly what it does, maybe it also removes Antiphishing and SiteCorrect features but I don't know.  All I wanted to do was to remove the avast Extension in Firefox and also uninstall the security plugin that gets installed in the Browser Integration option from avast v8.0.1497.

Offline Piano Man

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 04:01:09 PM »
Also in the new avast! 2014 I cannot find WebRep & Antiphising or SiteCorrect options page.  Anyone know how to get to these pages in the new avast?

In the (very) limited time I was using Avast! 2014, I did find something related to anti-phishing/site correcting when I was looking for ad blocking options - of which I was kindly informed no longer existed - by clicking (not sure if right or left click) on the Avast! online security toolbar plugin in Internet Explorer. I recall that a panel slid out on the right side of IE and there were some options there so give that a try and see if it helps :)

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 04:02:45 PM »
Click on the Avast Online Security plugin>Settings. The details you are wanted are there.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •