Author Topic: Win32:Evo-gen [Susp] - missing Avast options for handling false positive  (Read 2608 times)

NoelC

Everything is up to date (engine 9.0.2006 and definitions 131019-1).

I've got a Win32:Evo-gen [Susp] error that's started popping up in the last day or so when I run a software build of one of our products in Visual Studio 2010.  When Avast pops up the dialog shown below, it appears to be capturing a part of our system build process where it is writing a temporary file that will ultimately become our application installer.  The dialog is titled "VIRUS FOUND" and "Suspcious Item Detected" is stated verbally. 

Importantly, I'm not given the option to allow the file to be written anyway.

Closing the Avast dialog or choosing any of the options blocks the file from being created and fails our software build.  Choosing "Repair" causes the same message to be emitted over and over.

I have been able to add that particular temporary file with exactly that path to be ignored in the future, though I'm sure the error will pop up again if I use a different folder structure to build.

It's a false positive; my system has not become infected with anything and I can assure you we're not trying to build a virus into our product.  In fact, once this intermediate file is excluded from scans and the build completes, Avast scans the resultant installer just fine.

A.  WHY does Avast not provide easy to select "Ignore it this time" and "Ignore it from now on" answers?  Even if they're not provided by default, make it possible through a configuration item.

B.  WHY does Avast not provide an easy, direct way to report a false positive?

Please, something to remember while designing your software:  I'm ultimately in charge of my computer - not youIt's not your business to keep me from doing what I need to do.  I don't care if the general public are morons, please don't dumb your software down to the point where I, a power user who knows what he's doing, lose productive time trying to actually live with it.

I'm not particularly interested in working hard and long to spoon feed Avast information to fix this false positive, but I'd have sent it in if you'd have made it easy to do.

-Noel
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 08:13:46 PM by NoelC »

NoelC

Re: Win32:Evo-gen [Susp] - missing Avast options for handling false positive
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 08:40:50 PM »
Okay, in looking through the Virus Chest I have found that there are some "submit for analysis" capabilities there, so that does make it easier to provide feedback (thanks for that).  I have sent it in.

My prior statements about the need to provide methods for the user to override the block still stand.

-Noel

Online NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
Re: Win32:Evo-gen [Susp] - missing Avast options for handling false positive
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 06:15:24 AM »
A.
This is asked over and over time, but not adding this option is avast's decision.

B.
If I remembered correctly there is a link to report false positives in normal "Suspicious item found" toaster, but not in "Ask" window.

The only way to override false positives is adding exclusions.
You can add exclusions from Settings -> Antivirus -> EXCLUSIONS.
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。