Author Topic: SafeZone Error No Disk in Drive? Please Help [Unresolved]  (Read 6317 times)

macmomma08

SafeZone Error No Disk in Drive? Please Help [Unresolved]
« on: October 21, 2013, 06:15:10 AM »
Hi

Today I tried to go into Safezone. I have Avast Internet Security Program Version 2014.9.0.2006.

So I went in and it gave me this error:

SafeZoneBrowser.exe No Disk
There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \device\Harddisk3\DR3

What does this mean? I just tried again and got the same error. I've attached a screenshot.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 09:07:58 PM by macmomma08 »

macmomma08

Re: SafeZone Error No Disk in Drive? Please Help
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 01:22:25 AM »
Can someone please tell me what this means? I need to know if Safezone is still secure or if it's broken.

macmomma08

Re: SafeZone Error No Disk in Drive? Please Help Still No Answer
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 04:01:01 AM »
For anyone who cares to know, I called the phone support. The guy on the phone was not aware of what was causing the problem but suggested it might be my computer's hard drive. He did that bombay thing or whatever and took over the computer for a while, he didn't see anything. I sincerely doubt this is the problem as this computer is less than a year old and I very very recently ran a check disk on it to make sure the hard drive wasn't having any problems.

I really think this is an Avast problem, but having no further information to go on and no money to investigate it further, I'm just going to have to hope it's working. Obviously I'm quite depressed over this right now.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 04:07:12 AM by macmomma08 »

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 04:25:28 AM »
Have you tried resetting SafeZone?

settings -> tools -> SafeZone customize
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 04:29:05 AM by Charyb »

macmomma08

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 06:25:40 AM »
Thank you Charyb! As of right now I have reset it and the problem isn't happening. Hopefully that's sorted it out and it's done for good. I really appreciate your help!

macmomma08

Re: SafeZone Error No Disk in Drive? Please Help [Answered]
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 01:54:59 PM »
Hi all

I'd just like to say also that I found this webpage about that error message:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330137

And it says this is the cause:
You have a removable drive, such as an Iomega Zip drive, configured as drive letter C.
You do not have a removable disk in the removable disk drive.

It still very much looks like a problem on Avast's end, not mine. But whatever, so long as it doesn't happen again.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 09:08:27 PM by macmomma08 »

macmomma08

Re: SafeZone Error No Disk in Drive? Please Help [Answered]
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 09:06:04 PM »
So the other day the message popped up again. I restarted the computer and the next time I opened safezone it was working. Still no real idea what's causing it.

macmomma08

Re: SafeZone Error No Disk in Drive? Please Help [Unresolved]
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 04:32:01 AM »
Just happened again. Seriously why can none of the Avast staff tell me why this is happening? It happens over and over. Granted eventually I can get it to work by restarting the computer or safezone a couple times but this is really ridiculous. I've checked my computer all over and I can't find a single thing wrong with it, this is a problem with the software. I don't know why it is happening. I'm really getting fed up with Avast.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 05:34:13 AM »
Suggest a repair of avast!
  • Start>Control Panel
  • Programs>Avast icon
  • Right-click Avast!>Uninstall/Change
  • Select Repair
To ensure a successful repair, see the .jpg attached below and untick the box for avast! self-defense module.  Re-enable the self-defense module after reboot.  Did that work?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803

macmomma08

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 06:30:52 PM »
Okay I 'll do this.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 03:49:46 AM by macmomma08 »

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 06:32:26 PM »
Fingers crossed.   ;D
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803

macmomma08

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 03:49:22 AM »
Fingers crossed.   ;D

I did what you said and I got this error when I finished
"Exception EExternalException in module KERNELBASE.dll at 0000C41F. External exception E0FAFAFA."

I have no idea what this means.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 05:59:28 AM »
Fingers crossed.   ;D

I did what you said and I got this error when I finished
"Exception EExternalException in module KERNELBASE.dll at 0000C41F. External exception E0FAFAFA."

I have no idea what this means.
As avast! is a program one installs, it is rather unusual in this one respect:  It is a system-wide program that monitors everything for unusual changes, dangerous files when run, looks at the system memory, hard drive(s), etc., to make sure everything is running as it should.  Microsoft Word does not even begin to even come close to what avast! routinely does.

So, something as minor as a hardware glitch can be noticed by avast! and reported by Windows.

To give you an idea, see:  http://www.pchelpforum.com/xf/threads/kenel_data_inpage_error.140440/

In this case, the hard drive was just beginning to fail.

Also noted quite a few entries for Skype here:  https://www.google.com/#q=Exception+EExternalException+in+module+KERNELBASE.dll+at+0000C41F.+External+exception+E0FAFAFA

Software issues can cause this, in this case, Skype.

Sometimes removing a specific program can resolve your issues, but one needs to ensure memory and hard drives (all hardware) are working properly first before one moves onto any possible software issues.

macmomma08

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 04:32:57 AM »
I had recently run a check disk twice with no issues, so if my hard drive begins to fail it will be because avast is causing it to break. This computer is only a year old and I never had any problems with the free version of avast. I very sincerely regret getting the paid version.

I have reinstalled my entire OS, hopefully that will sort out the problem. If it doesn't I'm done with Avast's paid versions, I will never renew again. This has been a nightmare.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 04:57:59 AM »
Crossed fingers.

However, re-installing any software cannot fix a hardware issue.  Your memory sticks must perform as they should, your hdd must pass manufacturer's hdd stress tests, so what looks to be avast! is the cause, cannot be, as if either is failing, then data will be lost in memory or on the hdd.  Either way, one ends up with corrupted software due to the errors caused by transient failing hardware.

Check both for errors using the first link provided above:  Memtest and your hdd vendor's hdd test software.  Check your PSU for proper operation.

Only way to fix these sort of errors is to test and replace, if needed, with known good.

Information is provided for consideration only.