Author Topic: phone stolen when ati theft was off have an acccount though.  (Read 1802 times)

REDACTED

phone stolen when ati theft was off have an acccount though.
« on: October 22, 2013, 08:12:35 PM »
Hello Guys
 i write to you seeking a  solution to my  predicament i had in stalled avast anti theft but the irony is that it was off at the time i was being robed is it to late ? i have already communicated with the police and my service provider and i was assured that the phone is blocked, I am told that thieves  can   unblock the  phone i relay hope the avast android protector  is different .
I have an avast account ...

please advice....

Thanks......

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: phone stolen when ati theft was off have an acccount though.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 11:32:25 AM »
Dear Customer!

In order to track your phone you should start by contacting the person (friend/family member) who’s phone number is set as “friend” number in Anti-Theft.
If a thief/finder turns on the phone and changes the SIM card, our app will send a SMS with the current location of the phone and the new phone number (as sending phone number) to this “friend”.

If the friend hasn’t received a SMS, it's most likely that the original SIM card is still in place.

To locate the phone, you send a SMS to the phone with this content

2222 locate

replace 2222 with own avast! PIN - it’s 4-6 digits, only numbers.

There are many SMS commands available that might prove helpful. For example:

GET LOG <query limit>
Sample: 2222 GET LOG 10
Gets the call and SMS log (you see whom the thief called and who called him)

All SMS commands, along with a short description how everything works is explained in our manual available at:
<http://files.avast.com/files/documentation/mobile-security-user-guide-en.pdf>
it's short and easy to understand.

Of course you can also use our online interface at my.avast.com to communicate with the anti-theft installation - provided that the app was paired with the online account. The upside of the online portal is, that it’s convenient. The upside of SMS commands is, that they are more reliable and will work even without internet connection (which might be relevant if the thief changes the SIM to a prepaied non-internet SIM card)

Regards,
Werner

Tobias56

Re: phone stolen when ati theft was off have an acccount though.
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 03:20:59 AM »
Hm I don't think Wener's answer was specific to your question.

So maybe you could have tried the command "2222 SET PROTECTION 1" (replace 2222 with your pin). BUT since Anti theft was disabled it means that if a new sim card was inserted in the phone you wouldn't have been warned about it. Also according to what you say it looks like your current sim card has been disabled by your provider, so even if your sim is still in the phone it cannot work.

At this point you're only option is to enable AT on the avast portal, which is less reliable since it needs internet connectivity. Have you tried that ?

« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 03:28:26 AM by Tobias56 »