Author Topic: avast! daily updates  (Read 12232 times)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
avast! daily updates
« on: May 26, 2005, 09:04:36 PM »
Looks like Alwil guys went to daily updates ;D
I certanly like it :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

The Maxx

Re: avast! daily updates
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 10:31:01 PM »
Would be nice but I don't think they did, did they?  They might be updating more often due to outbreaks.  But I sure wouldn't mind it if they went daily.   :)

MFB

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 12:36:01 AM »
Yes, daily updates are awesome.   :)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 11:23:40 PM »
Hi RejZoR, The Maxx, and FIXER,

Yes, with some 50.000 virus definitions around by now, and counting we see more updates. I get some three updates a week, apart from the program updates. With the additional measures like anti ad-, spy- & malware, and precautions like the right anti-virus BIOS SETTINGS, online scanning etc, we try to keep the virus threat at bay. Also clean out the temp files with SSS. If you visit this here forum on a regular basis, you start to think along other lines, and in other patterns. Thank you all for informing me, my good forum friends,

Kindest regards,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 09:45:51 AM »
maybe reason Avast got new VBA100 ? :))
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

MFB

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 12:20:41 AM »
All Antivirus should recieve updates at least once a day, I understand that finding and making a virus signature file is very hard.  But it's always very caring and kind to recieve daily updates.  Avast! is doing fine with these fast updates.  McAfee, I had to wait for a month just to get updates, I can tell you that you still have to wait for a month to get a new updates from McAfee's server.   ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 12:55:27 AM »
All Antivirus should recieve updates at least once a day
If it is necessary. Please, don't send us placebo updates that we know some other antivirus companies send just to make the users happy  :P
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 12:58:54 AM »
I'm quite sure there's no connection between update frequency and VB100  ;D
As far as I know, the malware list for VB tests is announced and frozen in advance and the program is submitted, together with a virus database, for a particular deadline. I.e. VB doesn't include 10 minutes old samples, and probably doesn't even try to update the virus database.

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005, 09:58:18 AM »
I'm quite sure there's no connection between update frequency and VB100  ;D
As far as I know, the malware list for VB tests is announced and frozen in advance and the program is submitted, together with a virus database, for a particular deadline. I.e. VB doesn't include 10 minutes old samples, and probably doesn't even try to update the virus database.

well ... but for me often "real" updates matter :) VBA100 award is just award ;))

when i look at http://www.kaspersky.com/viruswatch?hour_offset=-2

i getting bad feeling as sometimes Kaspersky lab encouters 10 new viruses within 30 minutes

https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

MFB

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 01:42:42 AM »
That seems pretty good, maybe they have like 100 unprotected computers and allow people like us surf the web 24/7.   ;)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 06:43:38 PM »
Somebody's thought of that before: anti-virus and anti-spyware firms are now starting to go out and look for new malware before it becomes commonplace, using honeypots (unprotected computers like you describe) and honeymonkeys (virtual machines which surf the web for malware.)

Writers of worms used to create zombie PC's for blackmail are limiting the spread of their malware to 5000 or so PC's: enough for criminal activity but not for the malware to be added to most anti-virus programs definitions. (See link.)

Maybe Avast! could employ a few of us as honeymonkeys? We could surf the web all day on our honeypot computers and send them the malware we find!

http://news.com.com/Experts+Zombies+ousting+viruses/2100-7355_3-5720428.html?tag=st.rn

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11178
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 10:40:45 AM »
31.5.2005 was an interesting day hehe ;D
5 updates in a single day!
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

MFB

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 05:35:34 AM »

That's the motherload right there (even though their small updates)  :)

Maybe Avast! could employ a few of us as honeymonkeys? We could surf the web all day on our honeypot computers and send them the malware we find!

It would be a easy job to get money thought.  I mean all were doing to get paid is just surf the web and download programs all day.  Besides, we're already doing that job at home!  We can always use online scanners or another antivirus to detect any virus not found by avast! or  if we think that the file or program is infected cause it doesn't load properly or it doesn't work, than we can always zip it in a compress folder and send it to Alwil.   :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
avast! daily updates. Why?
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 02:05:16 PM »
Why is this happening?
Serious... Why Alwil changed the update policy?
For the push updates, take care, if you're not connected and the emails come one after another annoucing the push update, I'm having trouble. Seems that each email is starting an update and system go crazy... CPU reaches 100%... Not good.
After all, the email says: there was a processing error  :P
The best things in life are free.

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 03:51:32 PM »
omg dont tell me You complain about frequent updates ....

seriously there is new trojan/virus/worm/spyware/malware each 5 minutes

if Avast! is updating x times day it mean there are released serious one and worth often updates ...