Author Topic: How did you arrive at AVAST?  (Read 13239 times)

emma

Re: How did you arrive at AVAST?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2005, 02:50:58 PM »
I have no money (my school eats it), and since avast has a free antivirus program it was chosen.
I have no money...(my kid's school ate it.)  :'(
When I got my first computer I thought if you had anti virus protection.......you had anti virus protection...and that was that.
Was I ever surprised when 6 months later bells and sirens started going off with some KAK thing.  I hadn't a clue about updating etc etc.  I sat for 24 hours straight reading, printing the stuff, to the internet for more infor. etc etc. Got in there and manually deleted the thing (when I could have just used the Norton utility).  I didn't even know you had to pay again for it.  That was several years ago.  I dread to think how many baddies would have popped up today.  I was shocked at the price of renewal and a friend (as green as I) found a reference to free Avast.  We kept daring each other to try.  "You first". "No, you first." Finally I had to be first because my paid subscription ran out first.  I was shaking but did it.
I didn't need help when I came to the forum.  I had never belonged to a forum and it took me 24 hours to get up the nerve and learn how to do it.  And I am glad I did.  ;)

StyleWarz

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2005, 02:58:03 PM »
Rotterdam? "Hand in Hand Comrades... Hand in Hand..." :p
(Don't ask ;) )

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2005, 03:16:57 PM »
Halio StyleWarz,

That was a couple of years ago. The Fejenoord Club song. For really good football you have to go to Moskwa now...naboj..

Dobry dzien,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

PigDog

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2005, 03:30:47 PM »
Never took virus/malware threat seriously until a couple years ago when I upgraded to an XP machine and broadband simultaneously.  Was quite upset and shocked when only a couple hours later IE was being diverted to some filthy sites and my system had slowed to a crawl.

Did some research, read some reviews, checked out some forums, fixed the problem and installed Avast! and Sygate.

Been running without a problem ever since.

PigDog

Have converted many grateful friends from Norton to Avast! since.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 03:32:27 PM by PigDog »

FastGame

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2005, 03:59:59 PM »
I'm a mod at a tech forum, one day a member was having problems with their AV (long scan times). It was Avast! so I downloaded it too test and see what the problem was. I also visited this forum too see if they're were problems with Avast!, this support forum was excellent. The problem got fixed and I really liked Avast! so I stayed with it :D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 04:03:14 PM by FastGame »

Offline xistenz

• Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2005, 05:39:54 PM »
I had no antivirus on my computer, so I looked through everything that TUCOWS had to offer and avast! home was the only free one on the list. I downloaded it and gave it a go. I think it was version 3 or an early version 4. Since then I have been unfaithful and tried eTrust, Panda, McAfee and others. But now I only have avast on my home computers (Except my laptop, since I'm running Linux  ;D)

The Maxx

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2005, 06:42:58 PM »
Well I was looking for a new and better AV, was looking for one that worked good with Outlook Express and other email programs.  I kept seeing people on other forums saying that avast! was a very good free AV and worked great with a lot of email programs.  So I went and grabbed it and not long after I bought avast! Pro.  At that time I had already tried Norton 2003 and 2004, eXtendia AVK Pro and Panda.  Glad I found avast!
I ended up on avast! forums cause I noticed under support there was a forum section so here I am.   ;D

Neron

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2005, 06:46:40 PM »
I used norton and avg before but many people told me norton is not that good as before and avg stinks and that avast is much better.And it really is.More virus signatures is what i want ;) ::) :P

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2005, 03:43:41 AM »
I was using NAV and my computer was crawling.
I read a review about avast! and gave it a try once I figured out
how to uninstall NAV, I installed avast and was very happy with the results.
After a few month of using the free version, I bought the Pro version. :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 01:56:14 PM by bob3160 »
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

XtremeKirby

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2005, 03:49:13 AM »
Like many new computers, I had Norton pre-installed with free updates for 60 days. I really didn't like how Norton disables access to an infected file and not move it to some place (Like the avast! virus chest!) for safe keeping. I had dail-up and Norton updates are a pain and takes very long to download. (It even takes long to install)

I finally got rid of it, and went to find free antivirus softwares. I found AVG at first. I tried it and it was okay. But it had no automatic update feature (AVG 6.0), and the internal updater went bad and I had to manually download updates from my computer and put it in an AVG folder. I also didn't like how the AVG resident feature works. It detects and infected file and I have to manually use the scanner to rescan the infected file and then properly remove it. Takes too much time.

I finally had enough, and went to look for a different antivirus. I did some searching and I found this site. [http://www.hackfix.org/software/antivirus.html] It had statistics about many popular antivirus softwares on trojan detection rate. AVG had a poor 64%, while Norton had 95%. I then noticed a free antivirus called avast! that was rated 98%! It was the best among the freewares. I went to avast! homepage, read stuff about it, downloaded it, and I never went back. It has everything an antivirus suppose to have, and it keeps getting better. The great support forum was also a reason I continued using avast! today!  ;D ;D ;D