Author Topic: How did you arrive at AVAST?  (Read 13238 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
How did you arrive at AVAST?
« on: May 26, 2005, 09:33:12 PM »
Hello fellow forum-members,

What is intriguing to me? Why did you personally start to use AVAST, and how did  you land  on this forum.

I tell you my story as a start of this thread. I had some mishap with the main virus products Norton, and McAfee. Too  much to go into particulars, but alas. I used a Russian scanner, what looked promising but that AV scanner came up with lots  of false positives (really a nuisance) , even joke prompts were considered a virus, because of the health-risk to  the uninformed. You know the animated gif that says: your computer is now being reformatted, it comes in the same category as the joke where your computer starts to blurp, and you can only halt it  by clicking the top right hand corner of the desktop..

Then one fine day in spring an article caught my eye of a Dutch consumers union, where they praised AVAST as their number one antivirus product. I tried it out, it saved my neck on several occasions. When at work my sys ad left my console unprotected, that is without AV install, I could surf on because of AVAST. I made a little network at home installed AVAST on my wife's computer, then I went to the forum and registered, because I felt it was time to do so. Very curious to hear your stories?

kindest regards,

polonus
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 09:35:41 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: How did you arrive at AVAST?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 09:40:16 PM »
I found it on SnapFiles site (formerly known as WebAttack).
At first it looked funny when i viewed preview image on SnapFiles,but when i actually installed avast! it looked way better :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

kamulko

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 10:32:44 PM »
My decision was very silly-based. I was annoyed by Norton dinosaur: too many resources sucked, too many complicated, too many invasive. One computer magazine offered a free cd-rom. Avast! was here. Reading the article, my though was:"Ok, I will try this antivirus!". Immediately I liked Avast! (coup-de-foudre) for the NAME (in Italian the word "Avast!"  sounds very "hard"&nice) and also for the spinning blue-ball!  ;D After many months, I decided to buy the Pro version. And now I'm a ultra-happy user. 

o2xygen

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 11:19:35 PM »
from download.com

had an impressive 92 or 96% thumbs UP with hundreds of votes

niko

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 11:54:25 PM »
I switch for Avast! after many AV softwares (I don't want to name them except Norton ;D)
And now my desktop kiss me all day long ;D

MFB

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 12:34:51 AM »
One forum mention avast! as a great free antivirus, I was very curious so I visit the website and download it.  Then later I vivist the forum since I know antivirus websites must have forums. 

Offline phil2

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 07:41:56 AM »
Sydney (Australia) Morning Herald computer supplement.
What they said was all good.... very unusual for them!!!
So decided to give avast! a try..........thank goodness   ;D
Windows 7 home service pack 1 64-bit
avast! Pro Antivirus     Malwarebytes Pro resident
    Winpatrol Pro

watchthisspace

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 08:21:56 AM »
A friend suggested Avast, so I downloaded it, unintalled AVG, installed Avast and I've never changed again, and in a mag it had a big Anti virus test and Avast did really well  8)

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 09:43:36 AM »

Had used Nortons for years however it came time to renew update that-is $$$$"not again"  I had been using

Nortons AV packaged with System works Pro. I found that over the years System Works Pro was causing more

problems than it was solving. I decided that I really didn't need all the bloat-ware, however I needed a good

AV program. Used good old "google" read quit a few reviews gave AVG a go thought it was OK that was

until I removed it and gave Avast Pro a go. I am more than pleased with my choice and will purchase a license

when the evaluation period of Avast Pro has expired.
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

StyleWarz

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 11:22:51 AM »
I found out about avast! some years ago, but forgot about it... Then last summer I got remained again from a university admin. Since then avast! is on my VMware installs. I use VMware machines to test and devellop things  :P
It's not on my "host" OS yet, there BitDefender (and before F-Secure) are doing the job.

Fast

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 12:06:18 PM »
Well, same story as a lot of us: bought a computer, Norton was on it for 60 days.
Then I read in a dutch newspaper (NRC) about Avast! and this way I became an Avast! user.
Simple like that   :)

darkparrot

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 12:19:20 PM »
Had Nortons, but I was tired of the program hogging my system resources. I found of a review of antivirus programs, avast! was up in the 90th percentile.

I have no money (my school eats it), and since avast has a free antivirus program it was chosen.

Offline XMAS

• Avast translator
  • Super Poster
  • Santa is watching you ;)
    • avast! in Bulgarian
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2005, 01:59:24 PM »
I read about avast! in one magazine and liked the skins which was used for interface and decided to give a try ... and this was, since then i use avast! and i am very happy with it  ;D ;D ;D
You've Got To Get Close To The Flame To See What It's Made Of...

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2005, 02:12:36 PM »
Is n't this interesting. Keep on going folks with your stories This is going to be a sticky one. Thanks for your contributions,

Have a nice and virus-free day, you all,

Regards,

Polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Fast

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2005, 02:20:23 PM »
Hey Polonus, seems to me we're in the same area (near Rotterdam).
Avast! protected area  ;D