Author Topic: SPYWARE "COOKIE/TRIBALFUSION"  (Read 26480 times)

Fidel

SPYWARE "COOKIE/TRIBALFUSION"
« on: May 27, 2005, 07:54:53 PM »
Hello, friends:

I have many of these, SPYWARE "COOKIE/TRIBALFUSION" , spyware "Cookie/Doubleclick", spyware "Cookie/24/7/Realmedia" ,spyware "cookie adserver"  and others

Thanks  ,  are dangerous ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: SPYWARE "COOKIE/TRIBALFUSION"
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 09:26:14 PM »
Cookies generally aren't a problem (or dangerous), they are basically text files that contain data that can be used by the web site which installed them.

Tribalfusion and doubleclick gather information on your browsing habits for marketing/advert purposes I block both of them and many others and realmedia wants to take over the world considering it is just a media player.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it.
1. Ad-Aware
2. Spybot Search and Destroy
3. Spywareblaster

I would also suggest a diferent browser, firefox has cookie handling and extensions to block certain cookies/sites, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Name User

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 03:34:37 AM »
I would also suggest a diferent browser, firefox has cookie handling and extensions to block certain cookies/sites, etc.
I have many low threat cookies showing up too. besides tribalfusion there are, casalmedia, fastclick, doubleclick, adserver, etc.

I don't get why if they are low threat, they ae so intrusive even with built in pop up stoppers that Explorer, Firefox, and Google Toolbar use. I usually get them minimizing to my taskbar, but often they linger behind the page I'm on after I close out of it.

I was surprised you didn't recommend any good stand alone pop up blockers, but maybe none work better than the built ins.

I use Firefox almost exclusively lately, except in accessing things like Windows Update Center of course.

Can you tell me how to set Firefox so these cookies are rejected, and if I do so will it keep me from being able to visdit the sites that have them? (usually game patch and demo sites, not P2Ps).

I've read that you can adjust how cookies are handled from site to site, but I'd prefer to be able to just block specific cookies. Is there a way to do that?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 03:39:00 AM by Name User »

Spiritsongs

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 08:59:18 AM »
 :) I use a "cookie manager" called "CookieWall" available at
     www.analogx.com ; once you place a cookie into its
    "Kill/Delete" column, that cookie will never again in the
     future get on your computer.
     I also use the FREE "SpywareBlaster" from
     www.javacoolsoftware.com AND the FREE "Traceless" from
     www.traceless.cjb.net .

galooma

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 10:36:43 AM »
This is the cookie settings page accessible though tools/options of firefox, as you can see it allows you to dictate which cookies you permit and how long they stay.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 03:34:47 PM »
I would also suggest a different browser, firefox has cookie handling and extensions to block certain cookies/sites, etc.
I was surprised you didn't recommend any good stand alone pop up blockers, but maybe none work better than the built ins.

I use Firefox almost exclusively lately, except in accessing things like Windows Update Center of course.

I've read that you can adjust how cookies are handled from site to site, but I'd prefer to be able to just block specific cookies. Is there a way to do that?

I didn't suggest any pop-up blocker simply because nothing was mentioned in the question about a pop-up problem. Not only that but firefox also has very good pop-up blocking by default.

I suggest you spend a little time browsing through the firefox help file and Tools, Options and see what is available to you by default.

The screenshot that Cloussau has shown may not look like yours as it is from the firefox 1.5 beta RC2 or RC3 (Release Candidate) and not the current 1.0.7 version, but most of the functionality is in the earlier version.

The power of firefox is the extensions which can easily be added to improve functionality, cookie and advert blockers (Tools, Extensions), etc. You will soon tire of blocking cookies individually on a site by site basis, I simply set it to block third party cookies (not originating from the site you are browsing), other than that I leave them with a few exceptions which I add to the exceptions list to block, like those mentioned in previous posts.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security