Author Topic: Avast 2014 Problem Screen Resolution Avast Setup GUI on Netbook (solved)  (Read 4410 times)

damsko

Dear Avast,

i just upgraded to Avast 2014 (Free version) on my dads Acer Aspire One netbook (Windows 7 Starter) that has a 10.1 inch screen with maximum screenresolution of 1024x600. The main Avast GUI fits that resolution but the problem I encountered is with the window that appears after the mandatory reboot. On that screen the checkboxes to select/unselect the Google Chrome/Toolbar fall under the Windows 7 Toolbar. I was able to access the checkboxes by hidding the toolbar but the "Continue" button to finish update/upgrade falls 100% outside off visible range. No option to resize and also not possible to get "Continue" button accesible by dragging the window as it automatically jumps back to original position. I was finaly able to finish the upgrade by pressing the "Tab" button till i guessed that the "Continue" button was selected and then pressed "Enter".

Please have a look at this and adjust the height of the "finish" update/ugrade window, i suspect many are encountering same problem as me.

Best regards and thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 04:28:52 PM by damsko »

damsko

Re: Avast 2014 Problem Screen Resolution Avast GUI
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 11:44:23 PM »
Just updated my dads netbook computer again (maximum screenresolution 1024x600) and the Avast 2014 "setup" screen is still to big to access the checkboxes to disable installing google chrome. Also the "Continue" button is still not accessible. I now see option to close the window with the X on the top right corner but i think that if you click that without unchecking the options to install google chrome that it will close the window but that it then also will install google chrome if you want it or not. But i did not try.

Anyway this is what i see: (image hosted on imagevenue and imagebam)

No option to access the bottom part other then hiding toolbar to access the google chrome option checkboxes. Then i have to "cycle" by pressing "Tab" till i suspect that the "Continue" button is selected and press "Enter" to finish setup.

Hope window will be made to fit smaller screen resolution.

Best regards. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 12:46:18 AM »
Was this a clean install or an installation over the top of an existing version ?

I reported this resolution issue on the last couple of versions on my 1024X600 netbook.
This time round I installed over the top of an existing 9.0.2007 version, I chose a custom install and unchecked the chrome options right at the start. After unchecking the elements I didn't want and completing the installation I rebooted.

I didn't get the Complete avast software update screen this time round (on either system win7 and xp pro), so I didn't have a resolution issue. Nor did I have any chrome install, for those who are thinking if I hadn't unchecked the chrome options as I didn't get the screen. Looks like it is remembering my opt-out choice from the first screen.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

damsko

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 07:44:06 PM »
I updated a existing Avast. I think i updated from 2014.9.0.2006 to 2014.9.0.2008.

I always follow same routine. I open Avast > Settings > Update and look if there is a new program version available. If there is i choose update. Then after update i get message to reboot, i click accept to reboot and then i always end up with the "setup screen" with the Google Chrome/Toolbar options as these are not installed on my computer. I have no problem with that but since Avast 2014 the "setup screen" is to big for my dads 1024X600 netbook.

Like i said i follow standard update routine so would be wise for Avast to use smaller "setup screen" to be sure all button fit the screen. Text on "setup screen" is also "Click "Continue" to complete your update." So would make sense if you can see the "Continue" button ;-)

larman736

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 02:22:28 AM »
Same prolem with my Acer notebook [1024 x 600].  Had to connect toan external monitor to have access to continue button.  If I did not have an external monitor available, I would have been up s__t creek without a paddle.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 02:46:07 AM »
Same prolem with my Acer notebook [1024 x 600].  Had to connect toan external monitor to have access to continue button.  If I did not have an external monitor available, I would have been up s__t creek without a paddle.

I too have an acer netbook 1204x600. It is a pain in the rear and I have mentioned this from earlier builds. Hopefully they will allow the window to be resized in future.

You need to get a little creative (if you don't have an external screen) and use the Tab key to to move between fields to the Continue button. I moved the Taskbar to the side to see more of the screen, dragged the screen up to see the continue button to know where it was, so you know how many tabs you need to do to get to it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

damsko

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 04:26:06 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for fixing the issue.

I updated my dads netbook computer last Wednesday (to 2014.9.0.2011) and i could see and reach the "Continue" without  problems this time.

Wish good holidays and best wishes to all for 2014!