Author Topic: Is Avast Freeware Or Ad-Ware?  (Read 2142 times)

BearPup

Is Avast Freeware Or Ad-Ware?
« on: October 29, 2013, 05:05:52 PM »
I noticed after the most recent update that all of the emails I get have a tag line at the bottom that reads: This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active. That to me smacks of advertising, downgrading avast from freeware to ad-ware. My questions about this major change:

1.  Do outgoing emails also get tagged?
2.  What is the point of advertising to the owner / user - email protection is one of the main reasons for having just about any brand of antivirus software?
3.  Can this be turned off in some way? How?
4.  Is anybody else bothered by this free advertising space we're giving avast access to?

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Is Avast Freeware Or Ad-Ware?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 05:13:09 PM »
You can turn off the email tagging.. In v9 it got changed to default ( I don't know why)

From the avastUI > Settings > Active Protection > Mail Shield > Settings (wrench iconl) > Behavior  - General section > "Uncheck" Insert note into clean message (outgoing)

Regarding #4.. it's the free version. The paid version has no ads.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

BearPup

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 05:31:44 PM »
Turning on email tagging by default makes avast ad-ware not freeware. Avast got at least a month worth of advertising because I couldn't find out how to turn it off. That's sleazy business and if avast doesn't go back to it turned off by default, I will raise the alarm and seek to have avast reclassified.

As someone who provides Tech Support at microsoft.com, I have long recommended avast to someone needing new or replacement antivirus software. Our rules require that any 3rd party software we recommend must be completely freeware, and so if avast antivirus doesn't revert to making any and all tagging readily viewable and easily changed preferences, I will be forced to drop avast from my list of  recommended software

doktornotor

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 05:40:44 PM »
Avast got at least a month worth of advertising because I couldn't find out how to turn it off.

As someone who provides Tech Support at microsoft.com

Speaks volumes about quality of support over there at MS. Thanks for your contribution. Being unable to find a readily available GUI option for ONE MONTH, oh, just wow. Who's doing the recruitment over there at Redmond these days? <insert your favorite MS support joke here> Speechless. :o ::)

P.S. Avast has had adverts for its paid variants in the GUI for a couple of years. So your "alert raising" is kinda late. *facepalm*
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 06:02:24 PM by doktornotor »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 06:11:23 PM »
I completely disagree that it's adware. That "tag" is an easy to see indicator that avast has your back.
If it didn't show-up you would be asking if the avast mail shield is working at all.

With all due respect it never hurts to "dig" around any GUI to find where everything is.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.