Author Topic: Webshield and Privoxy (Win98SE)  (Read 2934 times)

Mustard

Webshield and Privoxy (Win98SE)
« on: May 29, 2005, 09:23:54 PM »
I'm curious how I can get Webshield and Privoxy to work together, as I really like Privoxy's functions for ad blocking, popups and stuff.  Privoxy requires that the proxy settings for the browser be pointing to 127.0.0.1:8118, and of course webshield is currently requiring me to point my browser at it, at 127.0.0.1:12080.  Is it possible for me to then point the webshield to privoxy using the avant4.ini file?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Webshield and Privoxy (Win98SE)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 10:19:20 PM »
Step-by-step instructions on how to set up a proxy server:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12123.msg102656#msg102656
The best things in life are free.

Mustard

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 04:45:20 AM »
I've read the link you have posted, Tech.  I'm just not sure how it helps me.  I have Firefox setup to use webshield and it is currently functioning, although its not as yet using my upstream proxy for my ISP.  What I am trying to work out is how I can then use the program Privoxy as well.  To configure Privoxy it requires that the proxy settings in Firefox be set up to point to localhost:8118.  Since I can't do that when using websheild, I am curious if there is a way of slotting Privoxy into the process somewhere.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 10:46:43 AM »
Set up your browser to use the WebShield port (12080), and then configure WebShield to use an upstream proxy (Privoxy).
More info here: http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html#idt_6870

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Mustard

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 02:51:17 PM »
Set up your browser to use the WebShield port (12080), and then configure WebShield to use an upstream proxy (Privoxy).
More info here: http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html#idt_6870

Cheers
Vlk

That worked like a charm Vlk.  My config now looks like this;

[WebScanner]
AutoRedirect=1
HttpRedirectPort=80
LoadIsapiFilters=1
ISAPIFilter1=ashWsFtr.dll
IgnoreAddress=
IgnoreLocalhost=1
OptinProcess=privoxy.exe
UpstreamProxyHost=127.0.0.1
UpstreamProxyPort=8118

I think the OptinProcess=privoxy.exe is a redundant entry, but I was toying around with it a bit, and it doesnt seem to mind that being set.  I'll remove it later and see how it goes.  This solved another isse for me as I was not sure how to forward to my ISP proxy. Now I am forwarding client=>webshield=>privoxy=>server, so privoxy handles the ISP proxy part.  I'm assuming that is what it is currently doing anyway. :D  I'm a bit of novice, but I manage to work my way through these things in a hit and miss kind of way.  All is apparently working well.

One thing I have noticed is that simply terminating Webshield and then restarting it via the Avast interface is not sufficient for my win98 system to recognise the changes in the Avast4.ini file.  A reboot is required for Avast to recognise that I have changed the .ini file. Is this a problem that can be fixed too?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 02:53:44 PM by Mustard »