Author Topic: Avast really needs an offline mode.  (Read 3077 times)

red_romanov

Avast really needs an offline mode.
« on: November 03, 2013, 01:22:30 AM »
Avast Free keeps downloading something behind my back.  >:(

I cannot watch Youtube videos in peace with this thing keeps hogging the already slow internet. And I already went through the settings to turn off/disable every network options including updates and community features.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast really needs an offline mode.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 01:01:23 AM »
Well, an antivirus needs to be on not offline...
avast! needs to be updated and the micro-updates (streaming updates) are there to protect us to new threats.
Some resources are always taken by the protection, updates, etc...
The best things in life are free.

red_romanov

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 06:36:11 PM »
You don't get my point. I posted here because I don't know what "AvastSvc.exe" is really doing to take that MUCH bandwidth when I already turned all network options off.

I am aware of the updates, but I already changed the update to once a week because it used to trash my HDD for an update every 4 hours. Sometimes it reads/writes 700MB. My machine is from the XP age!!

Of course I want a protection, that's why I keep Avast running. But what I don't like is when I am doing something and it gets in the way. So many times my work and browsing gets so slow from time to time and I am VERY frustrated to find out it is because the Avast thing again. User should have control over this, like doing the update or whatever thing I don't even know, while the HDD/network activity is really idle, not to stop the user from what he/she is doing.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 06:47:50 PM »
Hi red_romanov,

You can get the manual vps definition updates from here:  http://www.avast.com/en-us/download-update

Whilst the file itself is rather large, you simply double-click that to install the correct and latest version into your a/v, and this can be done once a day.  This would be your offline installer.

Avastsvcs.exe monitors all internet activity/connections for your protection.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801