Author Topic: Decisions ?  (Read 3701 times)

Offline Bizet

Decisions ?
« on: November 09, 2013, 05:38:20 PM »
I have just completed an Avast boot time scan which found 3 cases of Win32:Malware-gen and I was given five choices about what the program would do.

I wasn't too sure and in the end went for "Send to Chest" was this a good decision or should I have picked Delete.

Regards Bizet

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Decisions ?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 05:42:08 PM »
It was a good decision. Sending them to chest makes them restoreable if they were false positives. The virus chest keeps them secure from the PC. Delete should always be the last option.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 05:43:38 PM »
You have done the right thing - Deletion isn't really a good first option (you have none left), 'first do no harm' don't delete, send virus to the chest (a protected area) and investigate.

There is no rush to delete anything from the chest, a protected area where it can do no harm. Anything that you send to the chest you should leave there for a few weeks. If after that time you have suffered no adverse effects from moving these to the chest, scan them again (inside the chest) and if they are still detected as viruses, delete them.

Now comes the investigation:
What are the file names and locations ?
Has this/these file/s been on your system for some time ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Bizet

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 05:55:06 PM »
It was a good decision. Sending them to chest makes them restoreable if they were false positives. The virus chest keeps them secure from the PC. Delete should always be the last option.

Thank you Alikhan, that's very reassuring, and has added to my knowledge.

Regards Bizet,

Offline Bizet

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 05:59:58 PM »
You have done the right thing - Deletion isn't really a good first option (you have none left), 'first do no harm' don't delete, send virus to the chest (a protected area) and investigate.

There is no rush to delete anything from the chest, a protected area where it can do no harm. Anything that you send to the chest you should leave there for a few weeks. If after that time you have suffered no adverse effects from moving these to the chest, scan them again (inside the chest) and if they are still detected as viruses, delete them.

Hello DavidR thanks for your fast response, and regarding your questions, will the Chest contain the info you need,and is it readable, if so I will go into it and let you know a little later because dinner is ready and I've been called.

Regards Bizet

Offline Bizet

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 06:17:08 PM »

Hello DavidR thanks for your fast response, and regarding your questions, will the Chest contain the info you need,and is it readable, if so I will go into it and let you know a little later because dinner is ready and I've been called.

Regards Bizet

Ok I managed to do the job before my wife started shouting lol
here's what I copied hopr it's ok. Bizet

Name.                                 Location.
agrsmdel.exe             C:\hp\drivers\modem_Agere_Sequoia

agrsmdel.exe             C:\WINDOWS

agrsmdel.exe             D:\i386\Drv\APP23264\src

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 06:18:48 PM »
Could you upload the infected file to : https://www.virustotal.com/

Post the results.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline Bizet

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 07:04:47 PM »

Post the results.

I inserted the file name in the line, and each time it came back with "No comments" and when I tried their data base search it informed me it was not included.

Some side info, it seems to be related to drivers, and two days ago I reinstalled Windows, but backed up everything except the Video drivers, and I have been trawling the internet looking for a free driver, but only found out after downloading the various progs that they were either chargeable or had some other requirement which I didn't like the sound of.

This is probably how I suddenly aquired the viruses, and have never had one previously whilst scanning every day with Avast.

Regards Bizet. 

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 07:08:26 PM »

Post the results.

I inserted the file name in the line, and each time it came back with "No comments" and when I tried their data base search it informed me it was not included.

Some side info, it seems to be related to drivers, and two days ago I reinstalled Windows, but backed up everything except the Video drivers, and I have been trawling the internet looking for a free driver, but only found out after downloading the various progs that they were either chargeable or had some other requirement which I didn't like the sound of.

This is probably how I suddenly aquired the viruses, and have never had one previously whilst scanning every day with Avast.

Regards Bizet.

Try this:

Start>Search "Show hidden files or folders">"Enable" Show hidden files and Drives and also "uncheck" Hide extensions for known file types.

Once you've uploaded them, restore the settings back to default.

Offline Bizet

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 08:27:57 PM »

Post the results.

Regards Bizet.

Try this:

Start>Search "Show hidden files or folders">"Enable" Show hidden files and Drives and also "uncheck" Hide extensions for known file types.

Once you've uploaded them, restore the settings back to default.

Hi my settings were already in that state, and still no response change from the site, btw now that I have had the offending files dispatched to the Avast Chest is it still necessary to discover more about them?

Regards Bizet

Offline Tangy

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 09:12:12 PM »
agrsmdel.exe (LTRemove) is an executable from the software LTRemove version 1.7.0 by Agere Systems. This file is safe. I think.

Check this link out.

http://processchecker.com/file/agrsmdel.exe.html
OS:Win xpsp3 pro, CPU:2.8 GHz, Ram:4 Gb HD:500 Gb,Avastfree18.8.22356,OSArmor,Basilisk+NewMoon(Roytam1),ublockorigin,Adguard, SystemExplorer, MCShield, MBAM on demand, FW:PC Tools Plus ,WinPat,Decentraleyes,privacy badger,minerblock.
OS : Windows 7 pro 64bits Avast free Malwarebytes antiexploit

Offline Bizet

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 08:27:17 PM »
agrsmdel.exe (LTRemove) is an executable from the software LTRemove version 1.7.0 by Agere Systems. This file is safe. I think.

Check this link out.

http://processchecker.com/file/agrsmdel.exe.html

Many thanks Tangy, I found that interesting reading, and feel a lot better after doing so.

Regards Bizet