Author Topic: Avast 2014 Firewall Blocks Intenet Access - Windows XP  (Read 3030 times)

KN1957

Avast 2014 Firewall Blocks Intenet Access - Windows XP
« on: November 12, 2013, 12:26:05 AM »
Good Evening,

I've had trouble with the Avast firewall blocking or severely slowing both Internet Explorer and Firefox since I installed 2014, and this problem persists in 2014.9.0.2008.  My computer is old and uses Windows XP.  The problem first showed up with both browsers saying they had no access, and would work again when I shut down all Avast shields and then started them up again.  Now I am also noticing very slow loading of pages, to the point where some load as though I had a telephone modem.

I have deactivated the Avast firewall and am using Windows Firewall, and everything works fine this way.  Are there any fixes in the work for this?  Things have been fine before the 2014 version.

Thanks,
Kurt

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast 2014 Firewall Blocks Intenet Access - Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 03:25:23 PM »
I've asked for further help as I can't imagine how to solve these problems except an installation from scratch...

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. (Optional) If you want, save your avast! settings for later restoration (Settings > Maintenance > Back up).
4. Uninstall avast! from Control Panel (if possible) and reboot.
5. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1 in and follow the instructions. Reboot Windows in Safe Mode, uninstall avast! and then reboot in Normal Mode again.
6. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Register your free copy or add the license key for the paid versions. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.

Please, be patient, boot when it's said to boot...
The best things in life are free.

KN1957

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 02:41:23 AM »
Hello,

Wow, that is a lot of work!  I will have to wait until this weekend to try it out.

Thanks,
Kurt

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 11:49:50 AM »
Hello,

Wow, that is a lot of work!  I will have to wait until this weekend to try it out.

Thanks,
Kurt
In fact, it could take less than 10-15 minutes :)
The best things in life are free.

pcd

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 08:41:07 PM »
May I share my unsuccessful experience following approx. your instructions?
starting from version 7. config: xp home sp3, firefox, online armor

updating program version to 2014 9.0.2006 according to Avast requirement, on top of version 7 (without un-installing it)
=> green tick everything protected but FireFox doesn't start anymore, pdf files are unreadable

then avastclear
cccleaner of the registry, all mistakes corrected
install again 2014 9.0.2006 => avast status ok but same problems

restore system to last point before the avast restore one created during the 1st program upgrade => back to normal

then avastclear
cccleaner
download and install 2014 9.0.2007 => avast status ok but same problems plus mailbox doesn't connect anymore to the server

then avastclear
cccleaner
download and install 2014 9.0.2008 => avast status ok but same problems incl. mailbox one

then avastclear
(no registry clean)
download and install v8.0.1483 => avast status ok but same problems incl. mailbox one

restore system to last point before the avast restore one created during the 1st program upgrade => avast status NOK not active and no effect by cliquing on Activate or Re-Start buttons
plus same problems incl. mailbox one

then avastclear
(no registry clean)
download and install v7.0.1474 (hopefully the initial one) => avast status ok but same problems incl. mailbox one
with a new message starting Firefox whatever the page: " ! The connection was reset
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading."

restore actions are no more effective. it seems that any version of avast isn't operational either
I really don't know what to do now.
any suggestion?
thanks beforehand

I tried a couple of times to repair using
windows config panel\add-delete programs\avast add-delete\modify\repair
=> avast status ok but same problems incl. mailbox one

note: it took me slighlty more than 10 to 15 min  :) I would say close to 6 cumulated hours actually, including searching solutions and help on this forum
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 08:46:22 PM by pcd »