Author Topic: How to downgrade?  (Read 6857 times)

pidao

How to downgrade?
« on: November 13, 2013, 06:56:19 PM »
I really hate the new engine with Avast 9, so how can I downgrade to version 8?

I have a paid subscription at home and I'd like to take the best way possible to downgrade to the best version out there (version 8).

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: How to downgrade?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 07:05:02 PM »
Imo downgrading would be lessoning your protection, the 2014 engine is also much faster and lighter on resources so what is it you don't like about the new engine ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 07:27:16 PM »
It's not a good idea to downgrade... Anyway, I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Stay off-line (not connected to Internet)
6. Install again the old version: http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/ or http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php?old_avast=6918
7. Boot.
8. Register avast (insert the registration key).
9. Uncheck the programs updates (set to manual).
10. Only then connect to Internet (go on-line).
11. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

pidao

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 07:41:38 PM »
@Tech, thank you man! I will try this when I get home! :D

@craigb, why would that be lessening my protection? In what way? as to answer your question, I hate how everything displays. Not user friendly, nor tech friendly for a guy like myself. I protect my pc with 2 anti-spyware and a backup antivirus (not activated, just on standby!). But, I'd still like to know your opinion on why I would be lessening my protection.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 07:47:05 PM »
The new engine has better detection capabilities compared to version 8 and earlier.

Also note that even with a disabled second AV installed is still risky as there are usually low level drivers still active that can interfere with the functioning of avast or worse still cause lockups " Blue screens "

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 08:01:56 PM »
You'll get less protection due to not being using the DeepScreening.
If you want to know more, please, take a look in our blog http://blog.avast.com/2013/09/16/seeking-perfection/
The best things in life are free.

pidao

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 08:23:05 PM »
What do you mean it has better detection capabilities?
Yes, I am aware of this. I make sure that they are compatible, which they are :)

@Tech I know I can protect my pc safely to avoid these types of attacks :)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 08:36:23 PM »
What do you mean it has better detection capabilities?
The 2014 version is on a different update stream than earlier versions so it is optimised for the latest def's which have better detection and as Tech mentioned there is also Deep Screen and the new Hardened mode, you'll find more info in the link Tech provided.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 08:39:31 PM by craigb »

Ryudo

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 09:43:05 PM »
You'll get less protection due to not being using the DeepScreening.
If you want to know more, please, take a look in our blog http://blog.avast.com/2013/09/16/seeking-perfection/

Yeah.. I'm sorry to say but DeepScreen is way too sensitive. I was forced to disable that because it's blocking various things that aren't bad files.

Too many false positives just makes it an annoying feature. And there's no way to 'customize' deepscreen either. You either turn it on or you turn it off, simple as that.
I don't mind it happening once or twice, but it's happening with way too many (legit) programs.

I love avast, it's still my favorite anti-virus program out there, but 9.0 isn't my favorite update for now.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 09:44:41 PM by Ryudo »

pidao

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 10:38:55 PM »
@craigB, you're still not explaining what you're referring to. "it is optimised for the latest def's which have better detection"? Please, do explain, as I really wanna understand what you're trying to say. If we speak about virus signatures or even heuristics, the detection should be the same except perhaps in terms of detecting a virus code in pc stored html files for examples. Or in layered upon layered winrar files. But, I don't think this is what you're referring to. I am eager to know what you mean :)

@Ryudo, Ryudo from Grandia 2 eh? Awesome game! Love it. As for your comment, the 9th version isn't my fav at all either. Especially since Avast 8 had this nifty screen once opened, making it easier to navigate!

ram1220

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 11:40:22 PM »
 As long as you keep the virus definitions up to date in version 8 you will be fine. And version 8 works unlike version 9 (2014) Way too many reports of problems still not being fixed in version 9. There was a thread a few days ago where one of the Avast evangelists said this very thing. (Keeping version 8 up to date is just as good)

pidao

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 11:57:56 PM »
Thank you ram! :)

Offline Tangy

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 01:46:05 AM »
Couldn't agree more ! I'll stick with version 8 for the time being even though after this morning's update  had to reboot almost 7 or 8 times. Now everything is tickety boo once again.  8)
OS:Win xpsp3 pro, CPU:2.8 GHz, Ram:4 Gb HD:500 Gb,Avastfree18.8.22356,OSArmor,Basilisk+NewMoon(Roytam1),ublockorigin,Adguard, SystemExplorer, MCShield, MBAM on demand, FW:PC Tools Plus ,WinPat,Decentraleyes,privacy badger,minerblock.
OS : Windows 7 pro 64bits Avast free Malwarebytes antiexploit

Offline jacal

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 03:57:06 AM »
I have version 8 on my working computer and 9 on the older, reserve machine. Only that one is troublesome (ie11 crashes, gimp uninstallation is suspicious and analyzed etc etc). Don't worry about protection, ver. 8 is fine.

Offline AntiVirusASeT

• Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 05:26:08 AM »

Deep Screen, in its current state, it screens (sandbox analysis) based on the following factors listed here:
- https://blog.avast.com/2012/11/16/what-is-the-avast-autosandbox-and-how-does-it-work/ (Note: in Avast! version 9, it is a fully automated sandbox, i.e. it is not possible to set Deep Screen to prompt the user before analysis)
- http://www.avast.com/en-za/filerep (How file reputation system of Avast works)

Deep Screen would analyse an unknown program in the sandbox for about 15 secs before terminating it.
Depending on analysis, the program would either be
a) quarantined
b) restarted if it does not perform any suspicious behaviour within the sandbox.

If (b) occurs, the program should function properly on restart, done automatically by Deep Screen (no user input).
Note that Deep Screen would automatically add the program to exclusions in this case.