Author Topic: An Unresizable UI? Seriously?  (Read 4858 times)

NoelC

An Unresizable UI? Seriously?
« on: November 14, 2013, 08:28:15 PM »
Whose idea was it to make the UI in the new software small and unresizable?  6 applications fit in the Software Updater tool screen without scrolling. 

All the applications I use used to fit in the prior version when I would stretch the application vertically.

Does no one use a computer with a real monitor any more?

-Noel

Tetsuo

Re: An Unresizable UI? Seriously?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 09:55:52 PM »
Yeah, small and unresizable UI...

And by the way, what about concealing the virus chest somewhere deep in the GUI? Seriously, what's the point? I don't get it.
An AV with  small and unresizable GUI and a hidden virus chest. Brilliant.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 09:59:37 PM »
"Scan" page - one click. "Virus Chest" link - second. Deep...?

Gorg

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 10:01:52 PM »
I got one better. Put the chest in one of the main screen buttons. 1 click.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 10:04:29 PM »
You mean like this ?

Gorg

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 10:44:09 PM »
Just like that!  ;)

Rohugh

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 10:48:33 PM »
I got one better. Put the chest in one of the main screen buttons. 1 click.

That is exactly where mine is.  :)

Some of the UI can be re-sized,  like the settings section.  The UI is fine for me.

NoelC

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 10:55:07 PM »
Fine for you?  Well, I guess that makes it okay then.    8)

Seriously, who approves a decision to rewrite a perfectly good application and removes features and usability (besides Microsoft, I mean)?

And I agree with the notes above...  I've found it difficult to find the Chest as well on one or two occasions.  You'll forgive me for not committing eleventy seven Avast screens to memory.

A good AV tool is not supposed to intrude the way this does.

-Noel

Gorg

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 10:57:48 PM »
We just showed you that you can add the chest to the main screen. No need to memorize eleventy bajillion scazillionquintupleillion screens.

Rohugh

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 11:16:56 PM »
Fine for you?  Well, I guess that makes it okay then.    8)

It does not necessarily make it OK but just as for you it is not OK for me it is.  Different opinions?

And I agree with the notes above...  I've found it difficult to find the Chest as well on one or two occasions.

I would have though putting it on the scan window was the perfect place for it.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 11:19:43 PM »
Right click one of the front buttons > select change and then pick the one you want

NoelC

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 11:25:35 PM »
The chest is a minor issue, and not the reason I started this thread.

But I do get a chuckle out of someone who thinks the non-resizable dialog is okay.  Different opinions, sure, but...  One of us would like to be able to resize it and one doesn't feel the need.  Now think about this carefully:  Would having the OPTION to resize it bother you in the slightest?  I suspect you would just not exercise that functionality.

This is not some new pie-in-the-sky thinking.  It had the feature, and now it's removed.

I suppose it's necessary because computers are getting less powerful all the time.

-Noel

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 11:35:05 PM »
The real problem is on small netbook screens, like mine 1024X600 and the first installation screen won't fit.

For some people that will mean they won't/can't proceed, mainly because they don't know how to get around it, like dragging the task bar out to the side and knowing how to use the tab key to move focus to the unseen Continue button.

So there are many screens that require the ability to be resized, be that smaller in the case of the installation window and larger in the case of some others, but fixed sizes are a poor choice.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dprout69

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 11:51:42 PM »
OMG the world has lost its collective mind... does anyone not remember the day when a program launched, it read your screen size and adjusted itself accordingly?

Also, am I imagining it or did websites used to be smooth and now since they have all this .NET sh*t does every website become jumpy and erratic whenever you hover over something and something else expands?  Look at Avast's homepage for a less extreme example of this and how when you hover over the menu things are jumping... it wreaks havoc on the eyes after looking at a dozen websites.

Then windows 8 comes out and turns a beautiful interface into blocks and wasted real estate...

Now we don't resize windows anymore...

The more "advanced" we supposedly become, the stupider we're getting.

NoelC

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 05:53:54 AM »
Speaking of stupid and stupider...

Avast hosts its free software on cnet.com, right?

Guess which site won't let you download the product if you have a custom hosts file that blocks parasite web sites, tracking cookies, and other bad stuff?

Did the smart founders of Avast get rich and retire?  Can't say I'd blame them for that, but...

-Noel