Author Topic: Custom scan doesn't work  (Read 3067 times)

AndyA

Custom scan doesn't work
« on: November 16, 2013, 04:15:12 PM »
Hello,

I'm using avast! Pro 2014.9.0.2008 under Windows 7 Pro. Both are French language versions. The host PC is not infected, but a hard disk connected via a SATA-to-USB bridge needs to be analyzed.

If I create a custom scan (what follows are translations from the French UI):

Scan | Create a custom scan | customize the name, choose the default "Scan all hard drives", check the "Scan all file types", save the scan and click Start

… nothing happens. No file names appear on the "file analyzed" line and the percentage remains stubbornly at 0, even after an hour has elapsed.

How can avast! Pro be used to conduct a custom scan?

regards, AndyA

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Custom scan doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 06:56:01 PM »
Have you tried to make a scan setting "all removable media"?  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

AndyA

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 11:12:11 PM »
Have you tried to make a scan setting "all removable media"?

Tried that. The scan terminates immediately. (I'm trying to analyze two disk partitions full of data.)

Does this problem also exist in the English version? If the English version is running OK, I'll install it instead of the French version.

regards, AndyA

olddog

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 11:48:10 PM »
Have you tried to make a scan setting "all removable media"?

Tried that. The scan terminates immediately. (I'm trying to analyze two disk partitions full of data.)

Does this problem also exist in the English version? If the English version is running OK, I'll install it instead of the French version.

regards, AndyA

AndyH,
If I select Scan, then "Removable media scan" from the pull down menu. then Start, then the scan terminates immediately with a "scan complete No threat found message". Obviously it hasn't scanned anything. That is using Avast 2014.9.0.2008 free.

If however I select Scan, then "Removable media scan" from the pull down menu, then click on settings and in the Scan Areas use the pull down to select first Browse, then select the individual removable drive that I want to scan, click OK, then click on Start, the scan works.

It doesn't seem logical to have to do this, and it certainly isn't intuitive, but it is a work around. One would have thought that the default settings for Removable media scan would actually scan all removable media. Seems rather poor design, but then maybe its broken and not intended to be the way it is.

AndyA

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 10:57:20 AM »
Thanks for your reply.

I select Scan, then "Removable media scan" from the pull down menu, then click on settings and in the Scan Areas use the pull down to select first Browse, then select the individual removable drive that I want to scan, click OK, then click on Start, the scan works.

Not in the French version. Nothing happens. I'll try the English version and post here with the results.

I'm a professional. I purchased avast! Pro as one of my key tools to analyze customers' hard drives. IMNSHO, avast! Pro 2014.9.0.2008 is broken for custom scans. The interface is awkward and, to make matters worse, it doesn't work.

If the English version doesn't work, I'll abandon avast! Pro (which I've been using for many years) for a competitor.

regards, AndyA

AndyA

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 11:54:49 AM »
Thanks again for your help.

FOA, I learned that there is no "French" or "English" version. Installation language can be chosen, but the UI inherits the Windows language.

Uninstall/reinstall of the Pro version accomplished nothing. Custom scan didn't work.

Install of the Free version (following uninstall of the Pro version, of course) yielded the same results -- Custom scan didn''t work. (I can't explain your results.)

avast! is now off my system.

regards, AndyA