Author Topic: AvastUI.exe "A breakpoint has been reached"  (Read 4949 times)

Offline leftisthominid

AvastUI.exe "A breakpoint has been reached"
« on: November 19, 2013, 11:34:51 PM »
My computer was chugging along downloading Assassin's Creed IV from Steam while the avast statistics window was open for slightly less than two hours, and then boom this notification came up...

I reopened Avast and it seems that protection never stopped based on the webshield results number. What is going on here? Once the game installs I am doing a repair and boot-time scan.

Offline leftisthominid

Re: AvastUI.exe "A breakpoint has been reached"
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 03:01:21 AM »
I did a repair and a bootscan. No problems found.

Offline leftisthominid

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 05:44:24 AM »
Okay, I am sitting here on my computer and the UI reached a breakpoint again. It appears to just be the user interface and not the actual anti-virus, because the program is still running in Task Manager and never disappears from my system tray. In fact, I can click on the system tray icon and reopen the user interface right where I left it. When I had avast 8, I always left a shield activity screen up on my second monitor and never had a problem.

Can someone help me here? Thanks

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 07:06:57 AM »
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=140072.msg1021256#msg1021256

Now that I recall, Statistics window was also open both times when this error box appeared.  Only has happened twice so far.

Discovered instances of old 8.0.1497 avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport drivers and removed those via right-click in Device Manager.  Rebooted.  Not needed anymore as 2014 does not use these drivers but instead has a new one listed in Local Area Connection Status Properties that replaces all these drivers.  Noted tho, XP has retained all these drivers and they all are operational.

Thought the issue was fixed, but it happened again after clearing out the old drivers.  But there is a clue.  Maybe it happens when running the Statistics window for extended amount of time as we both seem to have done?  It was running behind the browser window each time.  I forgot it was there both times, but had to close it each time the breakpoint arrived. 

Could be what this error is really referring to as the error we both have seen?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803

Offline leftisthominid

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 03:00:06 AM »
Have you had the error again since removing those NDIS things?

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 07:24:06 AM »
Has happened only once since I cleaned out left-over remnants from 8.0.1497 on Win 7.  But, again, that second time I also had the Statistics window open, as before, just as I do now.  Statistics has been running now behind the browser for approx. ~ 45 minutes.

So, if it happens again that will be the third time.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803