Author Topic: What the heck is wrong with Avast's Firewall in IS 2014?  (Read 2645 times)

Ruffler

What the heck is wrong with Avast's Firewall in IS 2014?
« on: November 23, 2013, 03:50:22 PM »
I'm just trying to get a Java game host called VASSAL.EXE to function by giving it access to the internet, but for the life of me NOTHING I DO WORKS!!!! Vassal loads then 20-30 seconds later it just closes on its own. I have to disable the firewall for Vassal to work. Avast firewall lets Java through just fine. I called tech support & some knob told me to uninstall Avast & re-install and my problems would be solved. Yeah right! I'm running Avast Internet Security 2014.9.0.2008.

I purchased this POS just 2 weeks ago. Is there a refund policy at Avast?

I thought BitDefender was tough to work with. This thing is unreal!

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Gandalf1369

Re: What the heck is wrong with Avast's Firewall in IS 2014?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 05:10:40 PM »
If you haven't done it already, I would try adding VASSAL.EXE to the firewall application rules and allow both "in and out" internet access. 

If that doesn't work then see if the VASSAL.EXE uses a specific port to function.  If it does, make sure that the port is not in the "Settings" -> "Troubleshooting" -> "Redirect Settings" -> "Web" -> "HTTP port(s)" list.  If it is remove that port.  Not sure what else you could try. . . .

I believe that there is a 30 day refund policy.

Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

Ruffler

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 08:01:51 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions Gandalf. Unfortunately they didn't work, but they should have because what you offer as a solution makes a lot of sense. Today's Internet Security suites have become bloat-ware! They just try to do too many things at once. Oh well.....refund time & go back to the FREE stuff.

sagacity

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 06:12:58 PM »
I had issues as well, but, it seems to be related to java.exe rather than vassal.exe - try opening this to the firewall on the appropriate ports and see if this works.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 06:22:14 PM »
I had issues as well, but, it seems to be related to java.exe rather than vassal.exe - try opening this to the firewall on the appropriate ports and see if this works.
This is an outdated topic being a month old an we are also on a different build now, please checks the dates before posting.