Author Topic: Google Accounts - This site has been marked as a phishing site  (Read 5161 times)

Foemass

Google Accounts - This site has been marked as a phishing site
« on: November 28, 2013, 02:54:29 PM »
Hey there,

I'm using safari on an OSX (Mavericks) macbook and every time I go to a google accounts/gmail registration or password change page I get the little red dot in the corner of the web rep icon with "avast! - This site has been marked as a phishing site" text if you hover your mouse over it, the red dot also flickers up briefly during the account login process.    Clicking the icon unhelpfully just shows me how the website has a glistening reputation so in order to ease my intense paranoia I thought i'd ask what the red dot and warning actually means... Does it mean that just one random guy on the internet reported it?   Or is it a serious warning, and if its a serious warning then why on earth doesn't it come with some explanation or effect the page's otherwise glistening reputation. 

I've run a local drive scan and found no infections on this mac, but just incase i've changed the accounts password on another computer and am avoiding using it on this one for google till I know whats going on.   Also weirdly enough on another mac it doesn't cause the phishing warning, the only difference I can think of being that I didn't have rapport on that other mac... Maybe having rapport active is something to do with it? 

Anyway, i'd be very grateful for any clarifications or peace of mind people could give, i'd like to be able to trust my macbook again.   :(

EDIT:

An example of a flagged page would be https://accounts.google.com/SignUpetcetc though the warning only seems to come up after i've already entered some data and got halted for failing the word verification.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 03:06:37 PM by Foemass »

Hellopeople

Re: Google Accounts - This site has been marked as a phishing site
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 02:06:38 AM »
Uninstall WebRep and you should no longer see the little red dot in the corner in Safari.

Cheers,
Hello