Author Topic: Avast popup ads driving me nuts  (Read 6450 times)

Offline AlanHK

Avast popup ads driving me nuts
« on: December 03, 2013, 02:54:01 PM »
Since the last major upgrade, Avast now pops up annoying ads several times a day, instead of a few times a year as it did before.

Just saw another one, some garbage about "Cyber Monday".

And several times a day, trying to sell me some VPN service.

Yeah, I use the free version, but there comes a point when this intrusive crap outweighs the service and I will just jump ship, after maybe 10 years of using it and installing it on my friends' and families' computers,

I shudder to think that they are now all blaming me for this harassment.

Has Avast been sold to some XXXX  who wants to monetise everything to the max to pay off his loans?

If this continues, and I sadly expect it will only get worse, I'll pull the plug.

-----------------
Edited to make suitable for maiden aunts.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 07:05:47 PM by AlanHK »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Avast popup ads driving me nuts
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 06:16:06 PM »
First, please use a more mature tone and the need for bad language is not acceptable.
The pop-ups you are referring to are "wrongly" placed. They should be about vps updates.
They come at the right time, they just say the wrong thing.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline AlanHK

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 07:04:36 PM »
Not greed  but incompetency then? 

The ads about "Cyber Monday", whatever the **** that is, (I'm not American)  are "wrongly placed" too?

Why on earth should I get VPS updates when I don't have a VPS to begin with?

Is there any way to get rid of these annoying popups short of uninstalling the program?

I ONLY want popups for actual risks, not continual, several times a day, attempts to upsell me.

venom_zx

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 09:10:28 PM »
i completely agree with you AlanHK,

those ads piss me off and i can't find the settings to turn them off. i also just saw the same "Cyber Monday" popup. i will also abandon Avast if this continues. i've also been using and recommending it for over 10 years.

i abandoned AntiVir for the same reason back in the day...
i absolutely hate SPAM

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 09:19:05 PM »
To get rid of all pop-ups...GUI>Settings>General>scroll down to and tick "silent/gaming mode"

or

GUI>Settings>Appearance>scroll down to and set pop-up duration (note: one second is the lowest setting...zero equals infinity).
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

venom_zx

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 09:25:31 PM »
if i put it in silent/gaming mode. i won't see any important virus alerts...

ToonForever

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 10:36:46 PM »
i absolutely hate SPAM

Spam?  You use a product that real people have to make and update, but you use it for free, and you call the occasional ads "spam?"

Sheesh, the entitlement of some people...

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 11:16:39 PM »
It's not spam, it's a bug. 
Some users get it and some don't.
And it's a known bug. Should be fixed
in the next release.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 11:19:51 PM »
if i put it in silent/gaming mode. i won't see any important virus alerts...
Correct, you won't see any pop-ups.
My advice is to limit the duration of the pop-ups
as I showed how above.

GUI>Settings>Appearance>Pop-Ups>set to as low as one second.

Coffee addict

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 11:52:47 PM »
I have been getting these annoying ads over the vps updates too, facebook security etc.  I unticked participate in the avast community box in general settings tab and I have not seen one ad since, just get normal updates now ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 12:00:14 AM »
<snip>
My advice is to limit the duration of the pop-ups
as I showed how above.

GUI>Settings>Appearance>Pop-Ups>set to as low as one second.

Unfortunately limiting the duration won't make a blind bit of difference as one of the symptoms of the screwed up update notifications is the duration function doesn't work either. Along with the Tip/Ads popup instead of update notification popup and no voice over.

The only way to deal with it as has been mentioned in many topics is:
These tips popups have in the past been piggybacked with the auto update update notification, so the only way to get rid of them would be to disable the auto update notification, which if you want the update notification (when it works correctly) would remove everything.

avastUI > Settings > Update - scroll down to Details and uncheck the 'Show notification box after automatic update.'

@ Coffee addict
I think this is a happy coincidence as I have had these options unchecked for some considerable time in avast and it doesn't stop the screwed up auto update bug.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline AlanHK

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 02:43:13 AM »
It's not spam, it's a bug. 
Some users get it and some don't.
And it's a known bug. Should be fixed
in the next release.

It is spam, by definition. An unsolicited advertisement.
And excuse me for not believing that it's a bug. It's obviously designed to deliver ads very efficiently and prominently. 
The program updates itself every 4 hours, yet this "bug" has not been addressed. Just more spam delivered instead.
Seems they have a very relaxed attitude to fixing this "bug".

Obviously Avast controls what ads are delivered. If there was an error they could replace their spam with informational popups explaining the problem instead of more Cyber Monday crap, which just popped up AGAIN.

Anyway, I turned off update notification. Let's see if that's sufficient.

seeker15

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 11:30:28 AM »
Block the program in firewall and get rid of all those annoying ads.

Free does not mean one should be bombarded with ads several times a day! I for one, didn't experience such annoyance except that stupid pop-up that says 'loading' and then disappears ! Also, it doesn't sound good to complain either because you are using it free! Therefore, either you find a solution of your own to have intrusion free experience or just move on with something else to enjoy the same!

Offline AlanHK

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 12:14:01 PM »
Free does not mean one should be bombarded with ads several times a day! I for one, didn't experience such annoyance except that stupid pop-up that says 'loading' and then disappears ! Also, it doesn't sound good to complain either because you are using it free! Therefore, either you find a solution of your own to have intrusion free experience or just move on with something else to enjoy the same!

You complain more than I, then lecture me about not complaining?

This forum exists so users can help each other. It's not helping if half the responses are  "lt's free, so STFU".

seeker15

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 01:59:56 PM »

You complain more than I, then lecture me about not complaining?

This forum exists so users can help each other. It's not helping if half the responses are  "lt's free, so STFU".

Oh my Apologies!