Author Topic: Avast found problem with Play Store Android UUPAY-K [PUP]  (Read 9480 times)

cc01

Avast found problem with Play Store Android UUPAY-K [PUP]
« on: December 07, 2013, 02:55:52 PM »
Hi folks,

Avast today shows 'Malware found!' for my Android 4.2.2 phone,
and the Log shows:
1 problem found, Play Store, Potentially unwanted program detected - Android:UUPAY-K [PUP].

I tried clicking Resolve all, but of course Play Store cannot be uninstalled, and comes up Uninstall unsuccessful.

Does anyone know what this issue is and whether UUPAY-K is malware that needs to be removed, and in which case how?

Alternatively, is it safe for me to tell Avast to Report as false positive, or to Add to ignore list?

The More Info for this issue is:
Play Store v2.0.0, com.uucun4470.android.cms
Read Identity Info
Access Messages

Any comments or advice on this issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

(Also, is there a way to correct a typo in my profile location?)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 03:04:06 PM by cc01 »

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Avast found problem with Play Store Android UUPAY-K [PUP]
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 03:54:12 PM »
Hi,

com.uucun4470.android.cms doesn't really look like Google Play Store to me :-/

Filip

cc01

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 05:34:35 PM »
Thanks Filip.

I had googled com.uucun4470.android.cms and not found anything relevant.

I have now done a further Avast virus scan of the apps and storage, and nothing has been found.

This has cleared the scary Malware found alert from Avast.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 07:19:38 PM »
Hmm, it might have been a false positive, but if the com.uucun4470.android.cms app is named Play Store and has the same icon, there is something really fishy about it.

Filip

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 06:17:21 AM »
I found this  com.uucun4470.android.cms  in my Chinese made cell phone.  Yes, Webroot and Avast identified it as Play Store.  Both Avast and Webroot cannot remove it.  Message  un-install unsuccessful.  I also found  android.cube  (com.cube.activity) ; SMSReg (com.mediatek.smsreg) and Opera Service (com.android.systemservice).   Avast and Webroot could not remove these 4.  Can someone help.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 02:30:39 PM »
May be you should consider to use another ROM, like CM.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 05:31:11 PM »
hi folks , recently i have got android tablet .. currently i am using premium antivirus of avast on my device ..there is a system app in my tab which is always detected as trojan by antivirus like 360 security , trustgo , kaspersky(when i do system app scan ) ., malwarebytes , mcfee ... but avast and quickheal is not detecting that app as trojan . my device is not rooted , and whenever i stop that app after reboot it starts itself .... its name is com.sts .. should i really be worried about that or should i ignore that ... i have went to service center and updated my device's system software , still then that app is detected as trojan .    i  think  the app  is  in my device rom . so cant root  it  and remove  it  because  its  in warranty  period  and service center  guys  said  that i face any  problem  then i can  complain  and then  they will  forward to  tab  manufacutring department..  till  now  i have  not  faced any  malacious  activities  on my tab  . ya  sometimes   some  ads come on my notification bar  may be because of  of  free apps  i have  in my tab  . please suggest something ......... thanks
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 05:32:54 PM by sumkum413 »

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 05:18:21 PM »
Can you please provide the printscreen with full application name? Thanks.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 05:46:24 AM »
here  are  the  screenshots  .  please note  in these  screenshot  i  am showing you  what  mcfee  is  detecting  (others are also detecting same  app )  . then i am showing  what  device  is  saying about that  app as description  in setting-apps   menu..  pics  that are  black in color  are description about that  app  in setting of  my device  .  it was not possible to take  complete page  as creenshot in one shot  so i had  to take in three  shot

Offline Nikolaos Chrysaidos

• Avast team
  • SEC.MALW/ANDROID
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 09:48:10 AM »
Hello sumkum413,

Can you please install this application https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.virustotal , scan your device and share the virustotal link or the SHA-256 hash (of the com.sts application) with us ?

Thanks a lot
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 09:57:39 AM by Nikolaos Chrysaidos »
Nikolaos Chrysaidos - avast! VirusLab | Android Malware Analyst

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 10:18:01 AM »
hi  scanned  the  app using virus total  .  in first scan it  has not detected  com.sts  saying its not in their  database . then after  i submitted the app for scanning  then  following pictures  were  shown in the  detailed report  . the link  given by them  is  not  valid  i think because  when i open that  link no  page opens.. 
thanks

• Avast team
  • SEC.MALW/ANDROID
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 10:42:06 AM »
Hello sumkum413,

The malware seems to be detected by Avast Mobile Antivirus as Android:Agent-DJS.
This specific malware it seems also to be pre-installed in devices like Iball slide 3G etc.
In order to remove the malware you need to root your device and remove the application or contact the device manufacturer and ask for instructions.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 10:44:51 AM »
kindly  look  in my previous post  i have posted the  virustotal result.  please note  that  tab i am  using  a  new  product  of  indian  company  iball  ...  and  if  you  will  google about  com.sts  you wont find anything .. 
now i  have three  questions  in mind :
1) in an article  mcfee or  G-data,  cant  recall the name exactly  stated about  a china  mobile  firm whose  device comes  with preinstalled  trojan  ..  Is  my case similar to  such  . well everyone knows  maximum  manufacturing  process are  carried  out  in china  .

2)  is it possible  since  its  a  new  app  installed in new  launched  product in market  and based on its  behaviour only  antiviruses are  detecting  it as trojan  ...and its just a false positive   ?  because  even after  software update  its  not  solved  .and  till  now  i have  not faced   any  thing  so seriously  ( well  it  make  me some times doubt if my  data like  email  credentials  and other personel data  are getting leaked  by  this app).

3)if  i  root my device  will  it be possible to  remove this  app  in that  case also  i am afraid  if  i loose  some functionalities of my device ?   thanks

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 10:46:44 AM »
exactly  . i  am having  iball 3g    ,  and i have  went  to  service center  to complain about this  .  they  said  if i  face any problem  then i  can  contact them and they will forward the  issue to  head office  of iball .

thanks

• Avast team
  • SEC.MALW/ANDROID
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 10:59:19 AM »
This malware is sending a message to this mobile phone:
+91 9870932094
India, Mumbai

The message contains the following data:
SubscriberId, SimSerialNumber, DeviceId, Location

You will either root the device and remove the application or contact again the manufacturer with the above info.