Author Topic: Mail.app, Mail Shield conflicting with Mailbox Rebuilding  (Read 4326 times)

Offline specimen9999

Mail.app, Mail Shield conflicting with Mailbox Rebuilding
« on: December 07, 2013, 02:56:58 PM »
Summary: Mail Shield may conflict with Mailbox Rebuilding.

I've been receiving and sending emails on Mail.app normally using the Mail Shield, I have two IMAP accounts (one is Gmail, the other a private server) and one POP, just recently I noticed while accessing one of my accounts, IMAP, on the iPad (using the native Mail app) that one mail in particular (IMAP, private server) had not been received on Mail.app on my laptop, after trying to synchronize, closing and opening Mail. app I decided to Rebuild the mailboxes, which worked, after the process ended, I noticed there were still some emails missing, but now these were the last emails I had sent (sent folders) on both IMAP accounts (both the Gmail one and the private server one). I had tried quitting mail.app and opening again, synchronizing, taking offline and online again.

This situation kept going for days, until I decided to quit Mail, turn off the Mail Shield, start Mail.app, only then did Mail.app correctly synchronized, and the emails I was missing in my sent folders (which I knew were there from webmail), were finally restored.

So, for some reason, there appears to be some sort of conflict with mail shield and mailbox rebuilding, this is not related to certificates because some mails do get thru, I suspect there's some sort of caching that needs to be purged? Also, there is absolutely no reason to block these emails in particular, some are only text, and I'm 100% positive they don't contain any malware (and they were in the computer prior to the mailbox rebuilding).

Specs: OS X 10.9, Avast! Free AV 8.0 (40005)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 05:23:47 PM by specimen9999 »

Offline specimen9999

Re: Mail.app, Mail Shield conflicting with Mailbox Rebuilding
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 03:36:07 AM »
This is an important problem, I think the avast tema should look into it!

mustang64

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 12:56:07 AM »
Hi there,
The problem here is that since the latest update I don't get any emails.... Nothing in the inbox...

So I sent one to myself...HA, no joy..I shut OFF the mail shield and of course a BIG RED FLAG comes up.....

However, I do get my emails now, and lots of them were there, but AVAST MAIL stopped them from coming in!

What the heck is going on????  I think this program is a waste of time, they don't seem to care about the mac...I also had a BIG

problem with my Windows machine, they just updated the prog...firewall does not start etc on and on it goes. Looks like a FRESH install etc...why do I have to do that?
~Verne~

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 02:03:20 PM »
Hi there,
The problem here is that since the latest update I don't get any emails.... Nothing in the inbox...

So I sent one to myself...HA, no joy..I shut OFF the mail shield and of course a BIG RED FLAG comes up.....

However, I do get my emails now, and lots of them were there, but AVAST MAIL stopped them from coming in!

What the heck is going on????  I think this program is a waste of time, they don't seem to care about the mac...I also had a BIG

problem with my Windows machine, they just updated the prog...firewall does not start etc on and on it goes. Looks like a FRESH install etc...why do I have to do that?
~Verne~

The problem I stared here is very specific, I don't experience any of your problems either, please keep this thread on-topic.

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 04:04:29 AM »
*bump*