Author Topic: Problem with user accounts  (Read 3272 times)

gelbisch

Problem with user accounts
« on: June 11, 2005, 06:11:10 AM »
Hi!

I've installed Avast on my user account (Windows XP).  There are two accounts on my computer, both adminstrators.  When I load Avast in the second account, it wants the licence key again... when I put it in, it says it's invalid.  I've tried getting a second key with my girlfriend's e-mail (her user account) and it still doesn't work.  I've also tried reinstalling on her account, and it says I have improper authorization with that account.

Suggestions?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Problem with user accounts
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 01:40:43 PM »
Did you install avast from the administrator account (so it is available for all users), not an account with administrator privileges?

If you did this has been known to happen, but normally for restricted user accounts.

It would probably be best to uninstall, reboot and install using The Administrator account.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gelbisch

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 05:14:37 PM »
I installed Avast from the administrator account... there are two accounts on the computer, and they are both administrators.  I installed it from the primary one, though. Is there something in the installation or options I need to do to ensure the program will be accessible on all accounts?

In the meantime, I'll try re-installing...

MFB

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 06:16:06 PM »
I installed Avast from the administrator account... there are two accounts on the computer, and they are both administrators.  I installed it from the primary one, though. Is there something in the installation or options I need to do to ensure the program will be accessible on all accounts?

In the meantime, I'll try re-installing...

In my Windows XP, two out of three accounts are adminstrators.  I install avast! using the second adminstration account and the other two accounts did not required another key, it was fine.  Just try re-installing avast! and see what happens.   :-\

gelbisch

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 11:21:01 PM »
Well I tried unstalling from my account and reinstalling on the second admin account, but it still says I have don't have the authority to install on that account (the second).  This I totally do not understand as it is, as I say, another admin account.

Is there anything I'm missing?  MAN I love computers...  ::)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 03:11:27 AM »
I know it's too late but in XP more than the ADMINISTRATOR account and ONE user with ADMIN RIGHTS always brings trouble.
The ADMINISTRATOR usually is hidden and only one with ADMIN RIGHTS should done (intall) everything.
Downgrade (from ADMIN RIGHTS to normal/common user) is the worst thing... Start a new user and configure it will bring you less headaches...
The best things in life are free.