Author Topic: 2014 version on XP Pro - screen hangs on logging off  (Read 3935 times)

starbuck09

2014 version on XP Pro - screen hangs on logging off
« on: December 11, 2013, 11:40:46 AM »
I have returned to 8.0.1497 yesterday, after trying the 2014 version (9.0.1501). So far everything looks OK and performance as normal for 1497.

My machine is a Dell Inspiron 530, XP Pro SP3. I have been using AVAST Free version for around 5 months.

Before I tried version 2014, I was being reminded daily that I should upgrade every time I booted up, this I did yesterday by clicking on the pop-up Upgrade link.

Installation went quite smoothly, but unfortunately I have hit a major problem with Hanging Screens if AVAST could give guidance –

Boot-Up took forever, this I initially ignored because the new software might be doing a deep scan which I might be unaware off.

But the main problem is logging-off, the screen hangs after initially going blank. I can only get a reaction by Ctrl/Shift/Del. This produces the message “Logging Off”, but then again the screen just hangs. Another Ctrl/Shift/Del gets me to “Saving Settings”.

Basically there are problems for me at Start-up and Logging out.

I am a non-techie and have simply followed AVAST screen instructions. Question is - should I be doing an 8.0.1497 un-install before upgrading to 9.0.1501, if so I did not see any instructions prior to Upgrade that I must do that. Also if it is not necessary to un-install first then what is causing the screen hanging issues.

bobo1

Re: 2014 version on XP Pro - screen hangs on logging off
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 12:08:33 AM »
No issues on my xp system?. Did your dell have any other antivirus on it before you installed avast?. Dells can be bundled with nortons/symantecs antiviruses

olddog

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 12:31:31 AM »
I have returned to 8.0.1497 yesterday, after trying the 2014 version (9.0.1501)

I'm not sure where you got the reference 9.0.1501 from, the current version is 2014.9.0.2008, but that aside, how did you remove the 2014 version before reinstalling 8.0.1497. Did you use Avast's uninstall/clean up utility. If not I would suggest doing a full uninstall using AvastClear.exe (http://www.avast.com/en-au/uninstall-utility). It might also be worth running RejZor's Avast Cleanup tool (http://rejzor.wordpress.com/avast-cleanup-tool/). Do a reboot before re-installing Avast. If you have saved settings in one version, don't try to import them into a different version.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 12:41:31 AM »
I did notice the same behavior when I initially installed first version of 2014 however after several reboots and time allowed for indexing/whatever it has cleared up.
When I initially install a version update on xpSP3 it takes a few boots to settle in.
Just my experience. :)

starbuck09

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 05:16:34 PM »
Many thanks  to everyone for replies

- olddog - Please see screen dump attachment (hope it works, I have used a .jpg file), which says "A new version of program is available . Latest program version 9.0.1501". This is the message shown when we click on "Update Program".

So I am guessing this is the latest version - 2014 ?? - please tell me if I got it wrong, if its not 2014 then why are they offering this version !

No I did not use the uninstall software you mentioned - please see original message and question "- should I be doing an 8.0.1497 un-install before upgrading". If so then AVAST did not instruct it before I upgraded.

Because of the bad experience with this install I will wait until the new year and try again then.

Regards

starbuck09

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 05:26:18 PM »
Regarding the re-install of 8.0.1497 - this was done by XP Pro System Restore.

Regards

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 11:18:06 PM »
Many thanks  to everyone for replies

- olddog - Please see screen dump attachment (hope it works, I have used a .jpg file), which says "A new version of program is available . Latest program version 9.0.1501". This is the message shown when we click on "Update Program".

So I am guessing this is the latest version - 2014 ?? - please tell me if I got it wrong, if its not 2014 then why are they offering this version !

No I did not use the uninstall software you mentioned - please see original message and question "- should I be doing an 8.0.1497 un-install before upgrading". If so then AVAST did not instruct it before I upgraded.

Because of the bad experience with this install I will wait until the new year and try again then.

Regards

I realize there are different opinions on the matter, but whenever I upgrade a Major version of Avast (from7 to 8, 8 to 9 etc) I always do a Clean Install.
When you're ready, I suggest a complete removal/Cleaning of Remnants with AvastClear and a Fresh Install of latest version of 2014.  :)

starbuck09

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 11:45:55 PM »
Thank you for your recommendation - I will do a clean install as you suggest.

Regards

olddog

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 11:53:20 PM »

The screen shot itself is not of the current 2014 version - i assume it is from an earlier version (I can't remember what 8 looked like any more).
I'm not sure why it says a newer version 9.0.1501 is available, maybe it should have been 8.0.1501. Either way, the current released version is 2014.9.0.2008, and there is a beta in progress using 2014.9.0.2010.

When you decide to update, I would recommend you uninstall your current version, do a cleanup, a reboot and a complete clean install of the new version.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 12:35:22 AM »
Thank you for your recommendation - I will do a clean install as you suggest.

Regards

You're welcome. You should be alright.  :)