Author Topic: PDANet question  (Read 1376 times)

wordpainting3

PDANet question
« on: December 14, 2013, 05:55:13 AM »
Hello -

When I switched to the new version of Avast, suddenly my PDANet connection would not work. For those that do not know what that is, it is a program that allows me to tether my phone to my computer and get internet on my computer. I managed to get it up and running, but now I don't know if what I did is putting my computer at risk.

I clicked on Application Rules, created a new group and called it PDANet, then right clicked on it and selected New Application rule. Then navigated to the C drive, Program Files, PDANet folder and selected the PDANet PC icon.

Now, under my PDANet header in the Application Rules area it says "Allow outbound access to the internet on ports (port # is here). For all other connections auto decide".

I was just kind of winging it since I don't completely understand how all of this works. My one concern is that I somehow gave access to viruses somehow. I would think that if it is outbound access that is allowed only, that does not put my computer at risk? My internet seems to be working now, better than ever in fact. It seems a little faster.

If I could just get a warm and fuzzy reassurance from someone who knows this stuff better than I do, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Christine