Author Topic: Virus Definitions Are Outdated  (Read 8596 times)

Offline mhouse

Virus Definitions Are Outdated
« on: December 15, 2013, 05:12:34 AM »
Got a notice today on my Android phone alerting me that my virus definitions are out of date (the current version I have installed is 131119-00, dated 11/19/2013). I have always had the Automatic updates option selected (check marked). When I tap on "Check for updates now", a small window pops up briefly saying that I have the latest version, however, the outdated definitions notice does not go away. I've tried exiting the Avast app and going back in several times as well as powering off & restarting the phone. No luck.
Also, I've noticed the SMS and Call filter will only block incoming texts and outgoing calls, but I cannot select it to block incoming calls. Is this feature only available on the premium version? I have the free version of the app installed.
Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Virus Definitions Are Outdated
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 07:04:44 PM »
Which is your Android version? Is your phone rooted? Is avast! installed rooted (root mode)?
Here are the free & paid app features https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.avast.android.mobilesecurity
About the updates, we need to wait for a technical explanation as mine are working ok.
The best things in life are free.

Offline mhouse

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 09:50:51 PM »
Just checked the Avast! app again, and now it's showing that I am secured with definition version 131215-00. Guess I'll just chalk it up to the gremlins temporarily rearing their ugly heads.   :)
My Android version is 4.0.4, and to the best of my knowledge my phone is not rooted. Are there advantages to running it rooted? I'm not certain whether or not Avast! is installed rooted on my phone. How do I determine this?

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 10:29:44 PM »
Hi,

it should block incoming calls just fine. Is the button greyed out or something?

Filip

Offline mhouse

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 01:03:52 AM »
Hi Filip,
Yeah, the incoming calls button is greyed out, and won't let me select it. I have the group detail set to block hidden numbers. Thought it might possibly have something to do with what members were in the group, but I've tried setting new groups with different numbers, and it's nonfunctional regardless of the group members.
The incoming SMS and outgoing calls buttons work just fine.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 01:09:14 AM by mhouse »

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 09:49:17 AM »
Hi,

hmm, that's pretty weird. What exactly is your device?

Filip

Offline mhouse

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 01:50:35 PM »
It's an LG-MS770 (LG "Motion").

Offline CSEngineer

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 02:13:15 AM »
I have the same issue with my definitions, have for about 3 weeks. Each time see the message, I go press the "check for up updates" it fetches them, and shows the new date. Then a few days later complains it is out of date again and shows the same 11/19 definitions. If I had to take a guess, the download fails, and it falls back to the original version instead of the latest download.

My phone is a Galaxy S4, SGH-M919, Android 4.3 stock

epp

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 04:00:31 AM »
I'm having this same problem, although it's somewhat different.

Phone is an LG Optimus L9 (aka LG P769), Android version is Jelly Bean 4.1.2., stock, not rooted, fully updated by T-Mobile U.S.  Two phones of the same model.

When the phone is connected to the mobile network (T-Mobile U.S.) and an attempt is made to update the definitions when they're outdated - even though the software is set to automatically update, data is exchanged and it tells me that I have the latest version  - which remains outdated.  However, when I then set the phone to use WiFi with my local cable provider (Comcast) and repeat these same steps, the update comes in perfectly. This occurs on both phones, so it's not the phones.

As a test, I unchecked all three network types for updating, then when I selected to update, Avast still exchanged data - again telling me that I have the latest update, so at a minimum, the software appears to be ignoring the network settings.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 04:16:40 AM by epp »

Jez_W

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 11:38:42 PM »
I have the same problem on a  Nexus 4 (KitKat), I have tried re-installing  but after a while it seems to revert back to the old virus definitions. I logged a bug report with Avast but I don't think anyone is working there over Christmas/New Year.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 12:12:56 PM »
Hi,

it might be that if a new virus definitions are downloaded and applied and are found being corrupted after that, a fallback to older definitions (based on the version installed) is done in order to keep the app up and running, there is nothing wrong with that. I guess that with the current public version the fallback version would be around 131218-XX.

Filip