Author Topic: Avast hidden, SuperSU not  (Read 3679 times)

BallyHo

Avast hidden, SuperSU not
« on: December 18, 2013, 12:52:03 PM »
I was hoping to find a way to hide or disguise the superSU app after a factory reset as it is immediately obvious to a tech-aware thief that the phone is rooted and needs urgent attention - but as far as I am aware if superSu is removed Avast will no longer be able to work (as a rooted application) - is that correct, and is there any way around it?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast hidden, SuperSU not
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 08:02:09 PM »
BallyHo, welcome to forums.
There is no reason to hide SuperSu. Hidden (without an icon or something) or not the phone is rooted. You cannot change that fact.
If it is rooted or not, a factory reset will wipe all your data/documents. There is not a single phone that can avoid such thing.
The antitheft features are to find your phone, to lock it or even to be sure it was wiped.
But nothing can avoid a technical thieve to manage your phone, rooted or not, disguised or not, hidden or not.
The best things in life are free.

BallyHo

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 01:30:35 AM »
I take your point, and thanks for replying - however I do have a valid reason for wanting to hide SuperSU, in fact I have more than one reason, however the one I am most concerned with is that if the theif/finder doesn't know the phone is rooted, he/she will probably not take precautions to stop me tracking the phone, taking their picture etc.  If you found/stole a phone, factory reset it for safety and then wanted to sell it on you would probably have a quick check to make sure it had indeed been wiped of identifiable data, and then off down the pub to raise some cash.  If  you noticed Super SU and it rang a bell you might then be inclined to go a little further to avoid detection - perhaps even smash it in a fit of pique.

Anyway, its all guesswork at that point, however what is the point of hiding the Avast, if you leave a visible pointer that something has been hidden?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 02:30:14 PM »
I am most concerned with is that if the theif/finder doesn't know the phone is rooted
And how is the theif/finder discovering that? What do you want to hide? Or, in other words, how does your phone show it is rooted?

BallyHo

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 03:57:12 PM »
Well surely the SuperSU icon indicates that the phone is rooted?  Maybe there are other reasons it would be there after a factory reset but I can't think what they would be.  I'm very new to this so maybe there is another explanation.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 11:13:46 PM »
Well surely the SuperSU icon indicates that the phone is rooted?
And don't you use a password/PIN/gesture to block your phone? How the thieve will pass through it?
A must have security measure...