Author Topic: Problem with latest program update  (Read 2394 times)

Ironic

Problem with latest program update
« on: December 27, 2013, 11:06:05 PM »
Yesterday I did the program update through the Avast updater. The file AvastEMUpdate.exe /installer hung for 1/2 hr as it was close to completing. I rebooted the PC and it seemed to run definition updates fine. There was a file called aeb0c9a1-eb8a-42b2-a21e-e07961b0e017.exe that was running in the background however, and in doing a search on where that file was shows it is within the Avast program folder. I recommended Avast to a friend that had made the program update flawlessly on her PC and there is no file like that running on her PC. So I uninstalled, and re-installed the latest Avast. Again the AvastEMUpdate.exe /installer hung up, this time I gave it an hour, but the slider was VERY close to complete. I rebooted and Avast appears to be installed, but the 8 digit- 4 digit- 4 digit- 4 digit- 12 digit exe file shows in my task manager although the values (letters and numbers are changed). This file does NOT show in my friends PC. I'm afraid the installation isn't complete, and I like knowing my computer is protected. Both my PC and my friends PC are running Windows XP sp3. Avast was running perfectly before the program update, a Boot-Time scan picked up malware that the McAfee Internet Security that was installed before Avast had missed. So I have confidence in Avast, I'm just not comfortable in not knowing if the installation is complete or not.

NoelC

Re: Problem with latest program update
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 12:08:39 AM »
The Avast Emergency Updater hang has been seen by others.

One reason identified is that Avast (possibly) contacts Google or other questionable sites during the run of that application, and if you have the MVPS.org hosts file in place to block parasite web sites it won't be able to do so. 

Temporarily renaming hosts - if you've installed it - to something else will allow the installation to complete.

Unfortunateliy I had a corrupted install after I had a hang much like what you're experiencing, and I ended up having to do a full removal, including a run of the Avastclear tool, followed by a reinstall of the latest release with hosts renamed in order to restore functionality.

See if changes to your settings in the Settings > Update section fail to stick.  If that's the case, you'll need to go through a similar remove/install.

Avastclear : http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe

Some folks recommend running a 3rd party (non-Avast hosted) tool, but I recommend against that.

I have reinstated hosts after the install.  We'll see if the next release fails similarly - I hope not.  Avast has no business failing because a web site cannot be contacted, ESPECIALLY not one of the ones in the MVPS hosts file.

-Noel
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 12:12:21 AM by NoelC »

Ironic

Re: Problem with latest program update
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 03:36:37 PM »
@NoelC- Thank you VERY much. I did indeed have a Hosts file installed through Hostman. I'm glad you anticipated my having to run the Avastclear.exe as Avast didn't show up in the add/remove programs. After disabling the Hosts file the install was flawless, and the "code" exe/AvastEMUpdate.exe are no longer running in the background.